High Bp(hypertension) during pregnancy and Low Sodium food...

So I'm 14 wks and have had high blood pressure the whole time so far ...dr doesnt wanna have to put me on meds so shes seeing me every 2 weeks now...told me not to gain weight just baby weight...low sodium diet (so none of the good stuff I crave and eat all the time). I've never been a good healthy eater but its gotta change now. ** Looking for low sodium ideas for meals and snacks. Also anyone been in this situation? How much sodium was okay. I'm gonna ask my dr at my next appt I was so in shock last time I forgot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Do not eat anything in a can or frozen foods. So many prepackaged meals are loaded with tons and tons of sodium.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 10:06 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I'm not pregnant anymore (baby is 3) but I have to eat low-sodium all the time for other reasons. No convenience foods, for starters - the less processed something is, the less sodium it has in it, usually. Don't add extra salt when you're cooking - use other herbs, spics, seasonings instead. Eat foods high in natural potassium to combat salt - bananas & potatoes are my 2 favorites. I eat no canned soup, no frozen meals, no boxed meals. Read nutrition labels - where it says sodium, you want it to be under 10% per serving, the lower the better. NO canned veggies, lol - even "no added salt" ones have it hidden.
    Anonymous

• how high is "high" and why no meds??? Just curious....def stay away from anything with MSG also! soo much sodium in that, try to drink lots of water/check the sodium on things you would be surprised to see how much is in something like salad dressing. Good luck :)
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 10:11 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• No cans, boxes, or packaged food. No lunch meats, no sausages. No bottles of salad dressing or jars of sauce. make everything yourself. Make your own oil and vinegar dressing. Eat half of your food raw-- raw fruits and veggies. The extra fiber will help keep your blood pressure low and pull excess sodium out of your body.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2010