I may be induced this friday! Any Advice?

I'm 38 weeks and my doctor thinks I may have preeclampsia since my blood pressure was 143/93 and my feet were really swollen today at my apt. so I'm doing a 24 hour urine test, if they find protein over 300mg then there going to induce me friday. I'm so nervous! whats the likeyhood that they'll even find 300mg of protein? My heads spinning because I have no clue wether to expect a baby friday or not. Any Advice ?

Jannsen88

Asked by Jannsen88 at 10:17 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I say, relax, drink plenty of water, eat some protein...mainly put yourself on a sort of bedrest and maybe they will not induce, which can be bad. The high blood pressure is bad too, I know...but, try to avoid having to worry about it by laying back and taking it easy.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:21 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Find out kind of induction they are considering doing and research it.
    Anonymous

• Your BP has just entered the high range, but preeclampsia is something to take seriously. The only cure for it is delivering your baby, and the higher your pressure goes, the more danger there is of developing eclampsia (seizures, stroke, and/or organ failure can happen). I'm guessing you are far enough along, your OB feels it's safe to deliver rather than monitoring.

I was diagnosed at 33 weeks with my BP around 175/120. My pressure was fine the week before, but I had the swelling and was starting to show other dangerous symptoms like seeing flashing lights and a really bad headache. Inducement drugs caused fetal distress, so I had Tess by c-section about 14 hours after the initial diagnosis.

Preeclampsia babies are often small in size due to the constriction on the placenta. Tess was 2 lbs 15 oz and spent 28 days in the NICU.

Good luck! There's at least one preeclampsia group on CM you should check out
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:27 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Hopefully you'll feel better and not need it, but just in case you do, I'd say two things:

1) Carb load the night before. They don't let you eat in the hospital, so plan on a big meal of complex carbs (spaghetti, or whatever you like) to give you the energy you need to get through the labor process.

2) Take a shower before you go in - it just feels good.

Anonymous

• Just prepare. The induction won't be bad. You knew you were having a baby so it's not really a surprise now is it?
    Anonymous

• eat a lot just before you go in and 4 words, EP-I-DUR-AL
    Anonymous

• I was supposed to be induced april 26th but now I may have him friday. It's just made me freak out I guess. I just really wish I knew for sure if I'll be having him friday.
    Jannsen88

Answer by Jannsen88 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Both my kids were induced, there is little guesswork and it is a breeze. Also, you get your epidural ON TIME! Easy! It's gonna be great!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Be prepared that if be induced doesnt work, they might want to do a c-section. Know what to expect incase that happens.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I was induced at 38 weeks (well 37 and 1/2) for the same reason however everytime they did the urine test it came back fine. Inducing was the worst time of my life! Got induced thursday evening, got water broke saturday morning (as I was making no progress) then at 10:30 that NIGHT I finally felt like pushing, had 2 epidurals (the first one didn't take), after 4 hours of pushing and making not a whole lot of progress had a C-section. For me it was a terrible ordeal! However the reason for the c-section was two fold, I wasn't progressing like I should and my blood pressure went into stroke range and I was on oxygen. They usually don't just insist on a c-section unless there's an issue. I have also had friends and family who were induced and within hours were holding their baby. Everyone is different! Try to be prepared as much as possible, like the other ladies said, eat carbs the night before (and the morning of unless
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 14, 2010