potty training my son

i have a 19 month old son and i was just wondering about what age other toddlers began having in interest in the potty. i bought him a potty chair just so he knows its there but i dont expect him to care any time soon. He has also been bringing me a diaper when he needs changed if thats any type of sign.

jme484

Asked by jme484 at 10:23 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ususlly potty training begins anywhere between 18 months and 22 months.. and the child usually isn't fully potty trained until 3 years of age. Signs of being ready are: going multiple hours between wet diapers, going to a specific place to have a bowel movement, and/or asking to use the potty. Him bringing you diapers when he needs changed is more a sign that he's recognizing that he's dirty. That's a big step in the right direction, but I don't think it's a sign to start putting him in big boy pants :P My DD started going to her diaper box and playing with diapers when she was dirty at around 10 months old. For most kids it's closer to two when they really get interested in potty training, but you could always stick him on the potty and see what he thinks of it.
    Make sure to reward him for trying, even if he doesn't go. From my experience, kids usually sit a few times without going at all.
    Pocketmouse

Answer by Pocketmouse at 7:32 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• MY first daughter trained at 19 months, my second started at 17 months and was in underwear by 18. Don't set your expectations too low... I think a lot of people wait for kids to practically train themselves, and this happens for some but not all, and in the meantime, I think a lot of people miss a window of opportunity around 16-20 months when kids start becoming aware of what their bodies do, and also when they still aim to please us before that 2.5 year-old stubbornness really sets in. Telling you he needs to be changed is definitely the first sign... keep talking about what's going on in his diaper, talk about what you do (or your SO if you're not comfortable with using you as an example) in the bathroom, and let him get comfortable sitting on his potty. You may be surprised...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2010