small soft spot??

my daughter was born with a really small soft spot...like the size of your finger tip...the doctors said not to worry bout it right now as long as shes developing like she should....she is only 3 months old now and its starting to get smaller....what could be some of the side effects of it closing early??

maddie12284

Asked by maddie12284 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well a small one is better than none. Just watch the size of her head and her development.
    I have seen some babies with just very small ones.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 10:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• why would the size affect the development of your child? I was told the soft spot is for when you deliver your baby-the opening allows the baby's head to fit through your birth canal. That's why some babies heads look deformed right after birth, they got squeezed too much! LOL! It allows the bones of the head to move as needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• It doesn't affect the development with your child what so ever. But I do however have a nephew that had his soft spot close at 4 months old. When it closes too early the get concerned about excess pressure on the brain since it is still maturing. His head formed differently than what it was supposed to, and he may possibly have to have his head re-opened and re-positioned. That's still a "maybe" and he is almost 4 years old so I highly doubt it will happen. He has developed like any other child as well.

My oldest DD had a soft spot that was basically connected from her back soft spot to her front. It was huge, and her's stayed until she was over 2 years old and they weren't even concerned about that one either. I would just say to listen to your doctors, and once they worry... then you worry!! Good luck!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:41 AM on Apr. 15, 2010