Why do some moms not go after child support?

Don't you feel like it is your child's right? I understand some men are hard to track, but I know lots of women you never take the fathers to court. Yes some don't need the help, but lots do and I think their pride stands in there way

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ok ladies sadly I have been divorced twice & I can tell you support & visitation/ or custody are different issues in the eyes of the court. Men must pay weather or not they see their kids.. but you would have to prove he is neglectful or abusive to get all rights taken away.. A man can go into court & get visitation rights even if he doesn't pay support.. i think some moms feel its easier to just leave him alone than fight.. and i say make him take responsibility & have him pay.. but fight for custody & if he is dangerous get a restraining order..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I have known of several moms who would rather the fathers just leave them the hell alone. If they went after them for child support it would require more interaction and dead beats would start asking for more "kid" time if they are gonna pay...

I can totally understand why some moms choose to just let them go on their merry little way!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:50 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Because to get someone to pay child support you have to prove they are the father. Isn't it easier to vilify someone else with no proof than to admit you might have done something wrong?

Anonymous

• I am a mother that would rather be left alone.
    And if he pays child support then he has rights to custody. Id rather not receive any money and he not have any rights. Leave it at that and leave us alone.
    Anonymous

I understand what your saying, but isn't it a selfish reason unless the father is a danger to child or mother
    Anonymous

• I dont think its selfish to try to keep people away from your kids who will be either harmful to your kids mentally, emotionally, physically.....or just complicate their lives.

Just b/c a father isnt a DANGER to the child does not mean that they are perfectly fine to be in the childs life.

If the father was of any worth, they would support without having to go to court, if you are having to FORCE them to pay for their child...they might as well just GO ON!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

I see any sort of abuse a danger.
    I disagree with what you said about the going to court the child support order protects all involved
    Anonymous

• I see any sort of abuse a danger.

I was meaning immediate physical danger ie: dying

What do you mean the order protects all involved? ????
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:03 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• maiahlynn thanks I knew that it was separate.

I see it as the kids right to get financial support from their fathers whether they see them or not. I would NEVER even if he was the biggest douche bag not make him pay for his kids. Because, sadly most men who don't want to support their kids really don't want to spend that much time with them anyway
    Anonymous

• I just understand the phrase let sleeping dogs lie. Know what I mean.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:05 PM on Apr. 14, 2010