Would you do this to your 4 year old?

I work at a preschool, and this week a family informed us that several different people would pick up and drop off their 4 year old dd....why??? B/c THEY ARE ALL GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!! The mom the dad and the 8 year old brother are all going and leaving the dd with various friends and family they will be gone 7 days!!!!

The mom told her they were going to have their TAXES DONE!!! They even lied to her!!!

The little girl NEVER cries, but she has cried everyday this week, a lot...

Would you do this? What do you think about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• ha thats messed up. maybe they dont want to waste money on the 4 year old cuz she wont remember anything anyways and it will hold them back from doing other activities. but nah, i wouldnt do it.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Oh how sad!! How long do they think they can keep this lie up? Are they planning on not taking any photos, getting any souvenirs, and never talking about it again?? That poor kid!!

No, I'd never never never do that to a kid. Heck if we ever go we're going to take our nephew too! So if anything I'd take MORE kids, not leave one at home!!!!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I would NEVER take a family type trip without my ENTIRE family.

I think that totally and completely stinks and I have no words on what Id say or do if I had to listen to this mom explain how she could leave her 4 yr old.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• That is so wrong......
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• that breaks my heart :(
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 10:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• I think that's sad...poor thing. She's old enough to enjoy most of the attractions at disneyworld and they're treating her as if she would be an inconvenience. No, I wouldn't do that.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 10:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• OP HERE: YES it is breaking all of the teachers hearts too...she is acting out this week more than normal, and we are trying to ignore her bad behavior b/c we feel so bad for her.
    Anonymous

• I disagree, while I wouldn't lie about it. I know several families that have done that with younger siblings and it worked out fine. I left both my sons for two weeks and went to Africa. They were with their grandparents. My sister successfully left her twin girls with their nanny for a week and also went to Disney World. If the care is safe, I don't see an issue. I'm sorry for that little girl though, sounds like it was too many people shuffling her around.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:00 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Also, some parents do this so they can carve out special time with older siblings.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• A 4 year old is not too young to remember a trip to disney! They are the PERFECT age for such a trip. At 4, it would really be a magical trip.

How sad.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2010