Any other moms or moms-to-be taking college courses?

I'm in my third quarter of school and I'm expecting my second baby in July. I was wondering if any other moms out there have been in a situation where they wanted to continue with school but still be able to take care of their new baby at home?

Both my husband and I attend college and in the fall we plan on splitting up the time so one of us will go in the morning and the other will go in the evening so we can be with the baby. IN the meantime, our daughter would continue to go to day care, or hopefully by this time she'll be in pre-school. Anyone else been in my predicament and have it work out okay?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 11:32 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in

• i was in school while i was pregnant, my semester ended on a thursday, and on friday i had my son. i went back to school next semester when my son was 2 or 3 months old. my mom watched him for me while i was in school, and when she could she would stay over & help me with him if i needed to get some work done. it worked out fine, because i had help from my mom so if you & your DH can help eachother, i dont see why it wouldnt work.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:21 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• How do you pay your rent/mortgage, buy groceries, etc.?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I will be taking two intensive summer courses. They are both a week long, but a FULL WEEK, 8 hours a day M-F. The first course starts 3 weeks after my due date. I HAVE to do it. I want to add SPED to my teaching certificate before the new school year. I'll have to to leave my new baby and DD for a week, for I will stay at my dad's house. The college is near him not me. My DH gets to play Mr. Mom for a week in June and a week in July without me. He's a bit nervous too of course, doing it ALONE, but we will all get through it. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I've been working on my R.N. since Fall of 2005 when my DD was one. I went part-time until she was three, then had to put her in child care so I could go full-time. One year later our son joined us, and I knew I couldn't keep up with the FT program with a newborn. I went to one class per semester for a year and a half. This last January I started back FT and will graduate with my R.N. degree in December. You could consider reducing your hours or taking some online classes. You could always take a break until your child is a little older. I know lots of moms keep going FT, but I just couldn't do it. Academically I don't think I would have done well, and I wanted to have time with my new baby. GL and congrats!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I do my classes online so I don't have to worry with babysitters. I LOVE it. I actually graduate this summer to.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:38 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Yes, I did it twice. With my first, I took 2 semesters off traditional post-graduate work, but finished up after I went back. They were night classes. With my second, I got my MS online. Online was way easier. It can be done!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I have went to school thorugh all my pregnancies and at that time did online. Now I am in the xray program so go FT. Its hard with child care and juggling classes for us.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• i just finished my first semester returning back to school and i have a 1yr daughter. its not easy. but i survived and i have tons of help from my parents who live near by. its grea tbecause she is in daycare so i can do my school work and then on the off days i can spend the time with her and do work while she is sleeping. i got great grades and in the fall i will be going during the day. its a intense program and they only accept 15people so i have to go well. i had stop attending college bcause i was not in a field of my choice so i worked instead to figure out my life and it has lead me to a fantastic choice. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 2:41 PM on May. 19, 2010