What can I do to stay calm?

I am a single mom and I need some suggestions or advice. I get irritated quick with everyone including my child... I get mad... I yell... I get annoyed... I get frustrated... I have mood swings... I have bad anxiety. I don't want to be like this, but I don't want to be a zombie on medication. Is there anything else I can do or try to help me stop being like this. I just want to cry... I hate this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• I get that way too but it is usually when I have p m s. I would say pray and read your bible (if you are christian). Otherwise talk to your dr.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 11:54 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• Transcendental meditation.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 11:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• i agree talk to God about this one, i lose my temper easy too, and i have honestly found the stronger my relationship with God becomes, the better i am about it if you need to talk pm me anytime. trying breathing techs. and maybe screaming in to your pillow, i have also found taking a self defense class gives you somewhere to take out the agression
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 11:59 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• You don't need to talk to God, what is that going to do? Exercise, exercise and exercise! Exercise is a great stress reliever and is great for your body! Kill two birds with one stone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• EXERCISE.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Have you gotten tested for a disorder or even just a hormonal imbalance? Some things can be fixed very simply. Until then, just stay busy. It sometimes helps. I agree with the idea of exercise.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:36 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• anon 08, i am talking from personal experince on the talking to God, yes clearly if the OP does not beieve in God or something then it may not be the best answer for her, heck i didnt even refer to a religion, i dont care if she talks to my God or the God or the religion she may believe in, i know although i have always believed in God i let myself walk away from that, and when i decided to start going to church for my kids to learn and make their own choice, i couldnt believe how much better i felt every week after leaving church. its funny how quick people are to dismiss something they dont believe in and to advise against it, maybe instead of putting down my God the way you did, you should learn how to repsect others belief, PURPUL may not have advise to talk to God (idk her) but instead of putting down another suggestion she simply added hers, that would be respect but ppl hide behind the anon button
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 12:39 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Did you have your baby at a young age?... I know (speaking from experience), when I had my boys I had them very young and I remember the anger I felt inside. Not necessarily at them, but at the world almost. That no one could understand how much I wanted to get out and see the world and just be free. Moms can get that way sometimes.

If you have a religion, turn to it. Let it comfort you. Excercise. Learn to take some me time even if your LO doesnt like it or doesnt understand. Just take a few minutes to yourself, crank up the music and float away.

Find a trusted circle of mothers to confide in. You may not need medication and I understand you hesitation to do so.
    If you feel the things listed above will not help you then yes, talk to your doctor. But for now, try a few other techniques and know that you are not alone.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 5:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• meditation & exercise...YOGA would do wonders for you. Eating right can also help. Do you take time for yourself at all during the week, or have a hobby that you can get lost in? Those things really help.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:30 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Ask your doctor for a referral to a therapist

Answer by rkoloms at 8:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2010