Potty training tips for a boy!

Someone please give me some lol. My son is going to be 3 in Aug. I have to have him potty trained by then or the daycare wont move him up to the 3-5 yr old room. Plus hes to big for even the size 7 pampers cruisers he pees right through them. Ive tried making him wear pull ups but he complains they hurt his..you know what. He has one of those small toilets that has a fake flusher on it and gives stickers when ever he pees but he wont use it or the top when it connected to the reg. toilet!. im going nuts i dont know how to help him learn. Any advice would be great! TIA.

lyz826

Asked by lyz826 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I need some more info. Is he saying pee and poo or something similar? First you need to be able to communicate with him about these. Does he say that he pooped after he did it? If yes, you need to teach him to say it before and there are techniques for that, but I need to understand what level is he on. Is he bothered by being wet?
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 11:57 PM on Apr. 14, 2010

• first off...get rid of the fake toilet..so many times ppl train their kids to go on those, and then they have to re-train to use a real toilet.
    does he understand that hes supposed to go on the toilet? does he know when he has to go? try taking him to the store, let him pick out some special undies with his favortie cartoon character on it, and tell him he has to keep them dry. if hes not sure when he has to go, then just take him to the bathroom every 20 minutes, make him sit on the toilet for a couple minutes, if he goes AWESOME!! lots of praise, hugs, high 5's. rewards. if he doesnt go, then bring him back 20 minutes later, until he gets the idea..i used to give my daughter on smartie if she went peeps, 2 if she went poops. if ya dont want him havin chocolate, try jellybeans, or tic tacs, or skittles, something! obviously stickers arent cuttin it!! or if youre...cont..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:04 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• training him to stand and pee...throw some cheerios into the toilet and tell him to sink the cheerios. my nephew used looooove doin that!!!! but i would definetly get rid of the porta-potty..and the diapers!!! you said that you tried pullups, but they hurt him...ok..so get him a bigger size..or try a different brand, maybe instead get those "underjams" ones..the ones for night time accidents. those come in bigger sizes, cuz they can fit kids up to like 100lbs.... good luck!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:07 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Ok, breatheeeeeeeeeee! The fact that you are rushing and unsucsessful is only adding to the problem. I can only give you my personal experience. I have 3 sons. I had them potty trained by 3 or shortly after. This is my potty phylosophy. Wait until they start showing signs...taking diaper off etc. I started working on them when they were about a month from 3 yrs old. I did not force, press, rush, scold or lose my cool. If they didn't go, I said good try, we will try again later. If they had an accident I said the same thing. I gave them a small goodie a mini marshmellow, a single M&M when they did go. I did NOT use Pull-up, waste of money. I used cloth training pants. They are men. Let's face it, they don't like to do anything they don't think is their idea. lol. Just relax. It will become a power issue that they will win, if you let them know you are frustrated. Go online, great advice there too. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:42 AM on Apr. 15, 2010