how long should i breast feed my baby?

i am a first time mom, and my daughter is 18 months. i still breast feed her several times a day. most of the time she nurses for food but i am noticing that she sometimes wants to just suck. expecially at night when we are just sitting on the couch and she is getting tired. i am so at a toss up at what to do?? she is very attatched to the boob, she loves to be close and be skin to skin with me. i am ok with it for the most part. i dont want to rush her because one day she will be all grown up and this will be just a memory. how do i know when to wean? and at what age? please, no bashing. thank you!!

Preggydyke

Asked by Preggydyke at 11:53 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am all for child led weaning...meaning wait until she quits on her own. She won't go forever.

The AAP and WHO all say at least age two and longer is good.

You should do it until you and she are comfortable with it. Don't base it on all of us. LOL Go with your instincts. I am so happy that you made it to 18 months. Congrats it is a hard thing to do.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:00 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I think 18 months is a little long.. I think anything past a year is too long. At a year they're ready for real food. They've got the nourishment and antibodies they need and still BFing after that is just the mom being selfish and not wanting to let go of the bond. I promise you will bond with your baby in other ways!! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Wow, way to be a witch there ANON. You gave only an opinion. And not a nice one at that. Preggydyke: DO NOT listen to her.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:14 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Isn't that what she asked for... Isn't that what we're all here for? Advice and opinions of other moms...? Yeahhh... I think you're in the wrong place Bradensmom... If you think only your opinion is right, you're sorely mistaken...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I could never breast feed longer than a year. At that point they're perfectly capable of getting the nutrition they need in many other ways.

I wont agree with Anon 12:11 because I don't believe it's selfish, but to me it would be time to pack up the breast feeding. Just my two cents. You've done the first year, and that is a lot more than most women ever do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I gave her different options in a nice manner. I did not tell her she was wrong and selfish...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:33 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I believe I stated- "I think.." and you stated "You should.." Who's the opinionated pushy one? lol!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Yeah...my statement of "You should do it until you and baby are comfortable with it." That was real pushy. I didn't call her selfish and accuse her of not wanting to let go.... Go away and stop being a witch...Geeze.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:45 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Anon :11, just because a toddler is breastfeeding doesn't mean they aren't getting other food! And breastmilk IS real food. Sure as heck isn't artificial!

OP: COMPLETELY up to you and your nursling. The calendar has nothing to do with it, nor does the Court of Public Opinion. Do what YOU feel comfortable with...there are NO wrong ways to go as long as you and baby are happy with it. If you want to wean, you can drop a feeding a week till gone, replacing however you like. If you don't, then leave things be and baby WILL wean on her own when she is ready to.

The ONLY mistake you can make is making your decision based on what others think instead of based on what YOU truly want to do. So the only person who can really answer your question is the woman in your mirror. Go have a talk with her about it and see what SHE says; her opinion is the only really important one. You have to live with her forever, after all!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:56 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• thank to all of you wonderful moms that are helping me!!

as for you, you know who you are...miss anon!! it is not in anyway my selfishness that does not want to let go. i guess maybe you need to look at your selfishness for not commiting to your child for how ever long it takes for them to wean them selfs. your stupid and do not deserve these great mothers/women on here, that so generously give there love and kindness to all of us!
    YOU SUCK!!

thank to the rest of you, keep the answers coming!!
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 2:38 AM on Apr. 15, 2010