Am I wrong?

I no longer allow my kids to be around their cousins on DH's side of the family, other than family functions. They are out of control. Constantly screaming at the grandparents, telling my DS to do things she knows is against the rules. Then I get on to my son for doing something, and he sees them do it and not get in trouble. He now tells people to shut up thanks to the oldest. I can't stand the kids. So I decided to keep them away, cuz apparently parenting styles are way different here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Apr. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• I think you are right...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• You are NOT wrong. I would do the same thing.
    jenmay44me

Answer by jenmay44me at 12:15 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• u r doing whats best for your kids
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• i agree with you, my step son has a cousin on his moms side that i limit contact with very much, the kid is out of control, he comes in to my house and cusses he came over on time for a sleep over (the first time he came for a sleep over) and i had to take other kids home (because the other kids lived closer) because this kid was so out of control and i was afraid the other kids (my nephews and niece) were going to get hurt because he was using his martial arts crap on the other kids TRYING to hurt them, think about it, if these kids werent family you wouldnt let him hang out with them, if their parents have a problem with it respectfully say, If you son/daughter can learn to follow my rules when they are with me and my kids they will be welcome to hang out again, however i will not allow my kids or my family to be disrespected
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 12:20 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• If those were your next door neighbors instead of blood relatives, would you let your kids be with them? Nope. So you made the right choice. Difference is... you still have to be with them at family functions & you still have to keep peace with your DH. Be honest with your kids. Tell them your expectations for them will pay off in the long run. And be sure you and your DH are on the same page as far as when/where you really do need to get together & whether you will let your kids be with their cousins away from you. (I was the only parent to check the kids in the basement, or call my kids back indoors randomly & briefly to check on what's going on. If I didn't like what I heard, I found a reason to wash up, or rest, or do a small task for me. Worst case I ended up IN the kid group - which the cousins hated.)
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 12:23 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• No I don't think you are wrong. If there are children negatively influencing your own, relatives or not, you need to seperate them. Obviously their cousins have taught them things that you do not approve of and the only way to stop that behavior is to keep them apart as much as possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I think you should use it as a teaching opportunity to show your child how not to act and explain to him how it's wrong for them to act like that. I'd also reinforce how much I loved him and tell him how proud I am of him that he doesn't act like them.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:34 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Can't be wrong to stop having your kids be around bad influences.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 9:30 AM on Apr. 15, 2010