Do you do baby massage?

Just looking for ideas.... I've been doing it for my son a couple weeks now just before he goes to bed, but he's so squirmy and crabby at that time of day, and he rarely really relaxes. He hates being on his tummy, so that makes it more complicated..... So what kinds of things do you do with your baby?

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 12:22 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he hates being on his tummy then keep him on his back and rub his arms and legs. You can rub his back while he's on it, as well. There are some very good books on infant massage, and you may even be able to find a class, if you live in that kind of an area. My baby is three now and I give her leg massages regularly for growing pains. I massaged her when she was a baby and I just went slowly up her arms and legs, starting at her feet or hands and working in. You can have him sit up and support him with one arm while you rub his back with the other hand if you want to do his back. Be gentle, but be mindful of what his muscles feel like, because babies can get the same knots and tensions adults do.

Jmum

Answer by Jmum at 9:22 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I don't know if I really do baby massage, but my son has mild eczema so after every bath, I have to put a cream on his whole body. I always give him his paci and just rub the cream on really slow and gently...kind of in a massaging way. He's so ticklish though that he usually laughs more than anything. LOL He's 8 months old btw.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I did sometimes, especially when they have a fever. My Grandma told me to rub my baby down with rubbing alcohol when they have a fever and it works wonders. I've been told that it wasn't good for them, but whatever b/c my kids are 5 and 7, I did it with both and they're fit as fiddles. Sorry if I got off subject, just a tip. Massages are nice, I also used to give raspberries on their fingers, feet, belly, I think it gets them to notice their body because of the sensation. You could try to mouth "mama" on his cheeks, I always thought it would help them say it sooner :)
    yawningmommy

Answer by yawningmommy at 2:34 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• is it good togive a 2yr old baby body massage.
    monasing

Answer by monasing at 4:13 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• My daughter loves to be tickled. I don't mean the squirmy "make her laugh" tickle either. Just a gentle tickle up and down her arms and her back and her legs. I actually enjoy it too when I can get my husband to do it. It's very relaxing. My son is apparently ticklish everywhere and it makes him squirmy so I will gently rub his back instead of he is in the mood to be still and calm.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 4:34 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• DD is 5 months and I have been doing baby massages since I could bathe her. Although as soon as I turn her on her back and rub her belly she pees and laughs at me shouting and squirming. Wierd. I've learned to immediately put her diaper on as soon as I turn her over LOL....

I do it to get her ready for bed and help her wind down from all that we do during the day.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 5:12 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Try massaging his feet first. This always worked w/ DD and would calm her down immediately. Then i would work my way up her cute lil body & rub her legs, arms, tummy & back.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• yes , I did, its said its good for the baby. and I liked messaging them both..
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:14 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I have to massage my youngest because she has poor circulation and turns purple often. She hate it though, so i wait until she's asleep unless she has a purple spell and then she has to grin and bear it.
    JenniP0708270

Answer by JenniP0708270 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Baby massage is awesome not for just baby but you too! Great bonding time. I did it with my daughter after her bath evey other night, while rubbing her down with lotion. I did every other night so she didnt get to acustomed to it just incase i could one night. It relaxed her and i think it really made her very lovey dovey. she always wants to be touched hugged and kissed and I love that!
    0Aubreys0Mommy0

Answer by 0Aubreys0Mommy0 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2010