What's worse: An SO who drinks alcohol and gets mean/abusive/has bad judgement or one who smokes pot and is still a great SO and father (but its illegal)?

And "neither" isn't an option. :-)

It comes down to is it better to drink (which is legal) and be a bad SO and dad, or smoke pot (which is illegal) and still be a good SO and dad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Abuse is ALWAYS worse. Doing illegal things isn't great, but abuse is ALWAYS worse. No debate qualms or questions in my mind on this.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:50 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I would take the one who smokes as long as he wasn't doing it around the kids. Hell that might be preferable over the one who drinks and is abusive even if he did do it in front of the kids.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:50 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• the alcoholic....pot is illegal for the stupidest reasons and it's not even close to being as harmful as drinking
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:51 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• SO who drinks alcohol and gets mean/abusive/has bad judgment is worse
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 12:51 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• a drunk or a pothead? I think i know what you want us to say. But Thank goodness I can say neither. Both sound like horrible options.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• OP here: LOL no I don't live in a trailer park. I am asking because my DH works with a gal who just had baby. She was telling him about her boyfriend who drinks and smokes pot. She was pissed that he drinks and gets abusive (not really physically, but emotionally), but she doesn't care that he smokes pot. I don't understand AT ALL, because I would be more worried about him getting arrested and baby taken away. But I would never be with someone being abusive, either.

Either way, it just got me thinking, so I asked. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Dang girl your have found yourself some winners! Neither for me thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• sounds like someone is stereotyping and its not the OP..
    anyways...i have never had either one, but IF i had to pick and neither isnt an option id choose the pothead
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 12:56 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• They're the same. Mean abusive drunk would be horrible but Pothead who risks the childs life by being stoned/ (driving or if there was an emergency not being able to respond quickly etc.) PLUS it's a gateway drug that 75% of the time leads to harsher drugs. Not to mention what if he gets caught and hauled off to jail... who's taking care of the baby then?? Or when he catches the kid with pot when he's 13 and laughs it off 'cause he's doing it too, then the kid thinks it's cool and turns into a stoner too..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• "I am asking because my DH works with a gal who just had baby. She was telling him about her boyfriend who drinks and smokes pot. She was pissed that he drinks and gets abusive (not really physically, but emotionally), but she doesn't care that he smokes pot. I don't understand AT ALL, because I would be more worried about him getting arrested and baby taken away."

Actually, abuse would make it more likely for baby to be taken than the pot would...abuse is a clear and present danger. Of course, the guy's a loser all around anyway.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:00 AM on Apr. 15, 2010