How tall is/was your child at 4 1/2?

I'm curious how tall other children were at about 4 1/2. People are constantly telling me how tall my son is and how they're shocked he's only 4 because they thought he was 7, then they will go on to tell me how huge he is. I think his face just looks mature or something because according to the doctor's charts he's pretty average. So I thought I would compare and see if he really is average. He's 4 1/2 today actually, and 42 inches tall. He weighs 36 lbs.

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just last month at DS 4 year check up he measured 44" tall and 42 lbs. He turned 4 the last week of Feb. I get from people a lot that DS looks older than he really is. Often times they seem a little shocked because they say he is really tall.I have to make it known sometimes that he is just 4.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• My DD will be 5 in June, and was just measured 2 days ago - she's 43 inches tall and 43 lbs. She's in the 70th percentile for both height and weight, so she's above average for girls in our area. So no, I wouldn't consider him tall at all, just average. I definitley wouldn't mistake him for being 7.
    Anonymous

• My youngest daughter just turned 4 last week and I measured her yesterday and she was 41 1/4" tall. She's pretty tall for her age. On our chart she is just 4" shorter then her sister was at 6 and is taller then my oldest daughter was at 5 1/2-6 years old (she was and is really short for her age...she'll be 10 in June and is only 48" tall).
    But she doesn't look 7, that's for sure. She looks like maybe 5. Her teacher even mentioned last month that she was surprised to learn she was only turning 4 because the teacher was sure she was at least 4 1/2 because she's tall and mature for her age. My 7yo daughter is short for her age and is 48" tall, so, unless he's like 4' tall at 4 I wouldn't think he looks 7.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• That's pretty average. My son is 4 1/2 and he's 42" and 33lbs. I think he's heading for a growth spurt though because he's done nothing but eat and sleep all week, it's like having an oversize newborn!
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• mine is the same as yours actually lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• My 4 yo son (will be 5 in May) is about 39 inches tall, and about 33 pounds
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• My 4 and a half is 44 1/2" right now and is 40lbs i think she is in the 90th % she is the tallest in her class and the yongest
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 16, 2010