Family bed or not the Family bed.....

Our son is almost 9 months old and still wants to sleep in our bed because we did the family bed thing. Well we think it's time for him to start transitioning to his crib but our son begs to differ. He sleeps in there for most of the night but if he wakes up, it's all over and he has to be next to mommy and daddy. Is there any suggestions. We gave him a blanket and a stuffed animal. It's like he's scared of being alone when he wakes up. Any advice would be appreciated. God bless.

cleo2582

Asked by cleo2582 at 2:05 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cry it out. The only thing that works!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• This is what worked for me. At night we started a bedtme routine of bath, story, and then I put her to bed. The first couple nights she cried for about 10-20 minutes and it was so heartbreaking my DH had to hold me back, lol. But after that it was BLISS! She learned very quickly that when her routine started it was time for bed so it wasn't a shock to her and she got time to relax into it. Even if she whimpers now its not for longer than a couple minutes. We also gave her a very soft teddy bear and we turn on her night light and lullabies every single night.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:20 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• And I agree no one wants to let their babies cry but its what they do when they are uncomfy and sleeping alone for the first time is just that! We just have to stick to our guns and deal with it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:21 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• CIO doesn't always work...miserable failure here! My son was having NO part of that noise...we all slept worse, and we did give it more than a week to succeed. Nope. Wasn't happening.

Check out drjaygordon.com. Search the site for "sleep." BEST article I've ever read on how to make the transition. It will not happen quickly and it's not likely he'll be real happy with you, but it WILL happen.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:26 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Hey, this is what I did. Sounds kinda odd but here goes. My husband and I each slept in tshirts for a couple days. Then we gave those shirts to our daughter to sleep with. She liked our "smell". You might try it. :) We all get comfort from smells. Have you ever hugged and smelled your dh's pillow if he was away or you had a really bad argument and were upset? It is very soothing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Anon I forgot about this! Yes we did the same thing with my shirt. My daughter could tell when mommies boobies weren't right next to her! But she slept longer if the shirt was there. :)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:51 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I really find it amusing when the "co sleeping" mothers come in here asking how to stop co sleeping. It's all well and good until it's not convenient for YOU anymore. But the rest of us are barbarians for making our babies sleep alone in their cribs.

Hypocrites.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Last anon- I don't think this is typical of co-sleeping mothers first of all, lots of us do the family bed until the child is ready to transition. Secondly, the OP is probably more likely to be in line of thinking with you than with co-sleeping moms, I didn't read where she bashed anyone for using a crib. Did I miss that?

OP- Where is the crib? Could you keep it right next to the bed and maybe with the rail down. Then slowly transition to rail up then a little away from bed and so on and on. Cribs aren't for us, but I think you can and should do this transition if you really find it necessary without making your baby cry without comfort.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 6:45 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• you got him used to sleeping with you guys , and now he doesn't want to go to sleep alone. lol. you know the shirt idea might work for you,. either wise just let him cry for a little while. himself to sleep. good luck.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:09 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• You're on the right track, where he sleeps in his crib and when he wakes you bring him to your bed. Keep that up for a while, then, once he falls back asleep, put him BACK in his crib. It does take time, but it CAN be done without CIO.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:46 AM on Apr. 15, 2010