How much is too much video game playing time?

I'm curious as too how much video game playing time anybody gives their kids? I Hate video games with a passion. My 2 stepsons recently moved in and they play the game constantly, I have 2 boys as well and I don't really like them playing the video games. My 2 boys are 14, & 17. My stepsons are 16,& 18. Am I being a Bitch by putting strict limits on the game in my home?? I don't think I am, but I just am curious as to what you Ladies think...

THANKS!!!

Me2dznb

Asked by Me2dznb at 2:34 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Well what are your limits?
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 2:45 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• No I don't believe you are. I'm not so stuck on how much time they should spend on the games as much as how much time they should be spending on other activiites. Physical activity, time with family, school work (both homework AND studying), reading books that aren't assigned, chores, school activities such as clubs/orgs and sports, ect. I'm not where you are yet but I think kids/teens need to have a love for all of these other opportunities too. And getting stuck on games completely takes away from that. Its no different than adults who watch tv or play video games all day.

I've heard a good limit is an hour of tv/video game per day. You will be the "B" to them, but I think its a healthier choice. And again if school is suffering then its completely off limits until they pull and keep those grades up.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:47 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I think teens should be doing other stuff like sports, working, etc. Honestly, I prefer no video games during the weekdays and maybe 2 hours on weekends. Period.
    Me2dznb

Answer by Me2dznb at 2:49 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I think that you should ween them off. I see your point but you are not their mom and you will be that annoying bitch forever if you do cut them off right away. Why do you hate video games anyway?
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 2:58 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Thanks MAMACHAMP, I too believe that they should be doing other things, I just don't know how to tell them nicely to turn the game off. Their father doesn't have a problem with them playing the game all day, I DO! My 2 boys are involved in sports and definitely aren't allowed to play the game 24/7. I want to approach this situation nicely if it's possible?
    Me2dznb

Answer by Me2dznb at 3:02 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• @ Tf1990...I know I'm not their mom. It's my home and I think that teens should be doing other things like school work, working, socializing, etc. What the hell does sitting around, all day playing a video game do for anyone??? Am I really a bitch?
    Me2dznb

Answer by Me2dznb at 3:05 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Your welcome. And you a nd your DH certainly have to be on the same page on this. Even if he doesn't think its necessary he needs to be able to back up your decision and enforce it when you aren't home. You can always go to your husband with research and facts on how games effect teens. Just depends on how your DH learns. :)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:08 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I didn't say you where a bitch I said they would think you are. So they will not listen to you. Video games need to be regulated but they do teach tacticle skills and hand eye coordination. Also they can be socilization if like most video games they are multiplayer. I think that they need plenty of reading and excersize too but its not evil. My kids only play when other kids are over and not always then either. They can go for up to 4 hours some days but they trade off so its not as long as that. They don't play for weeks on end also.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 3:14 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I am right there with you. I hate video games, well some of it. My bf i always playing and it is very annoying. there i so much more to life then video games. I think you are right for setting limits. When my son gets older you better believe that he will not be playing video games 24/7 and the games he plays will be monitored.
    ilybaby8609

Answer by ilybaby8609 at 4:12 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I would say an hour a day is sufficient. But chores and homework have to be done already.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 7:32 AM on Apr. 15, 2010