2 year old

My son is going to be 2 on Friday, now I have heard about the "Terrible Two's" but my son has never acted up, literally...he is a very well behaved child. But the last week or so, he only communicates by whining and screaming at the top of his lungs. His ears are fine, got them checked, but he is yelling and screaming constantly...especially if he doesn't get his way. He has a temper tantrum. But he NEVER did it before...why is he acting out? Is there a way to get him out of it, or is it just a phase where I have to let him work himself out of the funk? I have tried timeouts and spankings for his behavior when it gets out of hand.

Hezekiahs_mom

Asked by Hezekiahs_mom at 3:00 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• looks like you got the technique down, that is good that you try to love him and talk him through it, It is hard I know. Just let him know that you are there for him so that he has support as he is trying to figure out his emotions. It gets easier at 4. They become calmer and understand better. hang in there for a couple of more years. My oldest son had tantrums from hell, he is 5 now. i don't even remeeber those tiimes because now he is completely different boy, calm, understanding and knows that when he does get upset i'm there for him. Good luck.
    EricandAndreMom

Answer by EricandAndreMom at 4:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Sounds like terrible twos to me! It happens. Sometimes well before the 2nd birthday (mine learned to throw tantrums at 14 months!) and sometimes not until later. Stay strong and hopefully he won't be too difficult. It is just a stage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• My son turned 2 in march and he is just like your son a great child.. But sometimes he screams when you tell him no.. but thats about it Thank God... I hope your son grows out of it soon... God bless
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:06 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Honey, he is having his terrible twos. It happens. Just stay calm and let him yell it out, make sure when he is having these tantrums that he is not a danger to himself in any way. The KEY here is for you to stay calm , I know that it is hard during that time but with him yelling and you yelling, that is just not a good. Please do not spank him when he is having his tantrums, he is trying to understand his emotions, that's all. Spanking him is not going to help. Please stay calm and know that this is normal and that they all go through this. With mine, he is now 3, when he would do that I would continue to hug him and tell him that I love him, and then just let him be. I left him alone, of course, where I could see him, and I let him calm down. Kids mimic our way about how we deal with emotions, if you are going to yell or spank him then that is what you are teaching him, to yell and hit when their emotions get out of hand.
    EricandAndreMom

Answer by EricandAndreMom at 4:46 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Well when he has these temper tantrums he screams so loud it's like someone is killing him, and tenses up his body when I try to comfort him. I never spank him unless he starts throwing things, most of the time I try to love on him and talk him through it per-say.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 10:41 PM on Apr. 15, 2010