Bullying in school?

So, yesterday I learned from my kid who goes to pre-K, he is 5 years old, that someone threw sand in his eyes during play time on the playground. I know exactly who that boy is who did this, he is a little 5 year old brat who gets no disciplilne at home and thinks he can get away with anything. My son is a very sweet and sensitive boy who, unfortunately, in this day and age, expects the best from everyone and is nice to everyone. But some of these kids in his class do not act like they are 5 year old, they are so mean and act like teenager with their know it all attitude. Anyways, it breaks my heart to see my son come up to some of these kids and say hi to them, and they just turn away. But that is not the issue, the issue is that I wanted to find out if I should confront the mom and the boy tomorrow about the sand issue, or how should I handle it? Any ideas? Please, anything helps????

EricandAndreMom

Asked by EricandAndreMom at 4:40 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Hi there, I'd confront the parent in a non-combative way. Let the other parent know what happened, and please do remember that these children are 5 and kids do do kid things. I'm a mother of 3 teens & 2 more step-kids...so I speak from experience. Definitely address the situation and ask her to speak to her child. Good Luck.
    Me2dznb

Answer by Me2dznb at 4:54 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Actually, since it's a school grounds matter, it should first be presented to the school administrator, who's presentation to the parents of the child will seem less confrontive and more administrative. My point is that if the children are like that, you can imagine the parents and I don't think you have a chance of not being seen as agresive with them. Combative people will always see any question to their behavior as combative and worse, you will be in their space at that point and be left to prove that you were not the agressor. Not a good scenario.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 9:45 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I agree about the school administrator. The mom is probably useless anyway and you'll just piss her off. Go through the proper channels. Your son will encounter more of this and there isn't a good explanation that doesn't hurt. That said, kids bounce back pretty darn good. Sadly, it's the ugly side of socializing but on the other hand it teaches him aggressive signals and that not all kids are kind. That is an essential took in K for standing up for oneself and defending oneself against these mean kids. Try to explain that throwing sand is unacceptable and perhaps that child hasn't learned it yet. Tell him to stay away from this kind of kid and ask if there are others that seem nice. I dealt with this too and my 5 year old took six months to learn that his "friend" was really not his friend but a jerk with no boundaries. But no matter what I said, he'd try to play with this kid. He finally learned. Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2010