How do we count those that are jobless but aren't eligible for UE?

I see all the time that the UE rate is either up or down, but if you are fired from a job for cause, you aren't eligible for UE are you? So how are those job losses accounted for? If you are laid off you can get UE, or if you can prove that you were fired without cause you can get UE, but what about those that either got fired for cause or that simply quit? How are they counted?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• U6, which includes those who are not collecting unemployment and those who are working part-time but should be working full time, but that's still not the real number. Even the regular u/e number is just an estimate based on surveying. Figure at any given moment, unemployment is always at least 3% higher than whatever they say, and right now, the U6 is at 18%, so figure nationally, we're closer to 21% or more. Local surveys, like in Detroit, put it at closer to 30% for that region. Part of the problem is how people answer the question when it's asked. Say you lose your job because you didn't have your job long enough to qualify for FMLA leave and you were pregnant. You are unemployed, but because you are home with a child you get counted as "homemaker" instead. Same with people near retirement age who take an early retirement package but are still looking - they count as "retired".
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:55 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• People who are fired can collect unemployment. It is a matter that the employer and the ESC for that state work together on. I'm not sure of the exact laws on it, but I do know that the employer does have some control and they have to comply with laws and regulations case by case. My mother was fired and has collected.
    Anonymous

• My soon to be ex said you cant get un employment if your fired, you can if laid off tho. So which is right I wonder? Guess Ill have to research it when I get the chance
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• People who are fired can collect unemployment.

Not really - occasionally someone who is fired can appeal the denial of benefits and there is a hearing. IF the employer loses at the hearing, the fired person can collect, but only if the committee agrees they were not fired for cause. If they live in an at-will employment state, there doesn't even have to be a cause, so that's not an option. And it doesn't matter if you are fired or laid off if you didn't work at a job long enough to accumulate the quarters needed to collect. A lot of people without benefits right now don't have them because they were laid off or fired from a job they'd only had a few months, or because they were working as contract temps.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• "My soon to be ex said you cant get un employment if your fired, you can if laid off tho. So which is right I wonder? "

You CAN get unemployment when fired, IF the employer agrees. I've been there twice. For most employers, it's easier to let the employee collect than to deal with the labor board.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• It also does not count people who are underemployed. The actual rate is at least 15%

Answer by rkoloms at 7:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2010