After starting the regular visits to the Ped.....At what age will my baby get his first blood test and for what?

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mommy5409 - some states require a blood test for lead levels in children under 6 years old. For example, NJ state law requires testing for kids at 12 and 24 months and then for any child 3 to 6 who were never tested originally.

OP - both my kids were tested around their 1st birthday and their 2nd. They are now 5 and 7. Neither has been tested since.

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• blood test for what??? My oldest is almost 5 and never had a blood test done of any kind. My 2 year old had one done last year only because she had rotavirus and they were trying to find out at the time what she had...I don't think babies get blood tests done, unless there is a reason to do them

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• DS had a blood test at one to check lead levels I believe

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:53 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• my LO's have never had blood tests after they left th hospital. They are 2 1/2 and 9 months

Answer by terribeari at 10:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• My children all had their blood tested at around a year for anemia, which runs in my family, but that's the only blood test they've ever had.

Answer by missanc at 12:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2010