Make him go to Karate???

My 9 year old has behavioral issues.... He is aggressive and can be very mean to his 3 year old brother. He is seeing and therapist and we do everything discipline wise to control him. I have read all the books, 123 Magic..ect. My husband loves karate and wants him to go. I do research on the positive affects and it's clear that discipline and respect is the main purpose. Thing is, my son is a little lazy and has no interest in sports or karate. I am thinking about making him check it out, for at least a month... Would you make your child go? Just curious... Thanks!

jalex

Asked by jalex at 10:10 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think it is a great idea, my brother was child that sounds alot like your DS,, he was in Hap Ki Do,, his whole life,, it helps with discipline and is a great sport! I think before he is a teen, you need to get him something to be involved in! Good luck mommy!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:25 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I think you should make him go for a little while, yes. But after a month, if he still doesn't like it and doesn't want to go, I wouldn't make him go. I would have hated to have been forced into doing something I didn't like or wasn't comfortable with. Let him try it out, see how he likes it...but after the month is up...let him make his own decision..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I have a son who is 9 and a little different situation. He was being picked on at the bus stop and by kids in hood. We enrolled him in martial arts, it improved his self confidence, and self estimate how he allowed others to treat him and how he handles a difficult situation. He also had no interest in sports or outdoor activities. He is a much more thoughtful kid now, not that he was ever rude or out of control but we can see the difference that the classes have had on him. Heres the thing, as his parents you have to make him do the courses and follow through. We make our son follow the schools home rules as well as ours if he does not he gets punished not just from us but the school. (ie a lecture from the instructors) He used to have temper fits now he does not. He would also pout or cry when we told him to do chores again he no longer does he is a lot better controlled and happy. I think you should do it.
    Orjimez

Answer by Orjimez at 2:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Yes, I'd talk to him and have him check it out for a month or so and then he can decide if he wants to continue. If he does, GREAT! If not, then he can make a suggestion of something he think will help him. Good luck. My 10 year old daughter loves karate, and she gets to meet kids that don't go to her school. It's really fun.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I would think karate would make him MORE aggressive. You can make him go but it wouldn't help if HE doesn't want to change. Try taking an interest in the things he does like. Also try talking to him. Maybe there's soemthing that's pissing him off.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 2:52 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I make my children pick one "active" extracurricular activity per season. Karate was one of their choices to pick from. It's never been what they have chosen so we've never been involved, but yes I would be likely to make him try it if he wasn't willing to choose something. I think it's good for kids to have an outlet for their energy.

Answer by missanc at 8:51 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• Yes, I would think of it as encouraging rather than forcing. I would agree with others that it is a good idea to have kids involved in at least one activity. I like the idea of giving a variety of choices-in addition to Karate, music also has benefits for kids like your child. In my mind, the more active-the better!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:16 AM on Apr. 16, 2010

• I'd have him do it. If he's lazy, too bad, they'll make him do stuff. It may help him to do stuff that Dad is doing as well. Maybe they have a family class? I'd say make him try it for 3 months. 1 month isn't that much time.
    Anonymous

• My 10 yo has been doing karate for about 3 1/2 yrs. The class he goes to is run on semesters, and at the end of each semester they test for the next belt level. If you put your son in karate, I would make him do it for the whole semester, or until he gets ready for the next level. One month just isn't that much time for karate. Also, if you can, take him to a tournament! They are AWESOME! Good Luck!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:21 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Ask for a trial lesson then go from there. If he doesn't want to push through with it there is no need to force him. Martial arts is a very good way to improve focus, strength and endurance.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 4:23 AM on Apr. 17, 2010