anyone know anything bout this?

A friend of mine is no longer with his wife, but they are not legally divorced yet. She stays with her parents. He has the kids one week and she has them the next week. She lost her job and is going to apply for PA. Does that mean he is going to have to pay child support etc..?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• In FL, yes. They will make the mother apply for childsupport.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:35 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• OP here -- even if they both basically have joint custody of the kids?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• umhm. I had to have mine pay for a while so I could get medical for my dd when I needed it. we were in a very similar situation. You could always call and ask what would happen.
    What we did was have him pay the support and I would give it back when the checks came. Made things hectic for a bit but it's what we had to do.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:42 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• by mine I mean my DH
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:43 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Yes. There is no reason for her to have PA if the father is still in the picture. They need to get the matter settled in court instead of what they are doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Yes

Answer by admckenzie at 11:13 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• The general rule for any public assistance is that everyone else has to pay first. For Medicaid they want to make sure there are no possibilities for worker's comp claims or prior insurances (they are the payer of last resort), and it goes the same with everything else. (My field of employment is in eligibility for benefits and such). They will make a person explore all other options before providing assistance.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:15 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I know that in California, if you have 50-50 custody, the parent that has a higher income has to pay a percentage of support to the other (if there is a court order).
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Yep.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 3:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2010