Have you ever let your child miss school......

Have you ever let your child miss a day of school because you wanted to take them out for a family night event the night before and you knew they would be getting home late? What is your opionion of this? Is it ok to do or not acceptable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Let them miss school, all learning does not take place at school! Missing school for family advent teaches them---family is important, special events call for a special exception to the rules, your rest is important, and most of all we want to to spend time with you. GO FOR IT.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 12:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I have not done this. I could see doing it for a very special event maybe, but for the most part my children know they will be getting up at the same time each day no matter what they do the night before. I don't want them to get to college and think that a late night means skipping class the next morning is acceptable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Once in a while for a special occasion would be perfectly acceptable in my mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I have never done it, but I would consider it depending on the circumstances. If it's something I am scheduling, I'd probably just try to schedule it on a non-school night. If I couldn't schedule it, and had to go on someone else's schedule, then again, it would depend on what it was. I might let them stay home the next day. Or they might just go to school really tired for the one day, and go to bed early that night.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:53 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Nope, not for that. But we did take them out early one time when we had to travel for my sister's wedding, and next week we're skipping Friday to go to my BIL & SIL's for the weekend for a birthday celebration.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• We typically don't take the kids out of school unless they're sick. I've taken them out early for routine doctor appointments if it's all we could get. Usually however, we reserve late nights, trips, etc to non-school nights. Vacations are stuck being on break. We make education the priority. There's lots of time to do the other stuff that doesn't overlap with school schedules.

That said, it'd really depend on what this 'family time' thing was. As a kid I had the same "only when sick" structure for school absence. However, the year my grandmother was dying from cancer we did miss a few days of school so we could go down to FLA and spend Christmas with her. All my cousins came in too. She died the 2nd week of January that year. Something like that I'd do.

Dinner, a show, a baseball game? I'd pass unless I could get it on a non-school night.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I probably wouldn't let him skip school the NEXT day just because the night before was long. However, my son will be in 1st grade next year, and I'm taking him out of school for 3 days to go to Disney World because it's a special trip he has been waiting years for.
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 4:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• personally, no. my mom raised me not to miss school and i will not let my children miss school because of an optional activity. i plan events and things that fit our time schedule for bedtimes and such. i would also never take my child out of school for a family vacation.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• We missed a Friday before spring break and I took them to the movies. It was early dismissal anyway.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Yes, yesterday actually. I got a hotel for a night about 3 hrs. away and we 'escaped'. She is a teenager and does awesome in school.
    Anonymous