hoe do you try and get your kid/kids tired?

my boys play allll day long and for some reason when its bed time they sit there looking dumb founded lol
i just do not understand
my oldest son goes to school comes home plays untill baseball practice
its about 7ish when we get home from that
he just idk he should be the energizer bunny's kid i swear he doesnt sleep just re-charge's
and my youngest after his dinner and bath and teeth being brushed its over for him hes knocked out.

japandamommy

Asked by japandamommy at 10:37 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I take my son to the park across the street and let him play for an hour!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• thats all my kids do...
    japandamommy

Answer by japandamommy at 10:43 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• It sounds counter-intuitive, BUT I know when my kids are *over-tired* they're more likely to find it harder to wind down and get settled at night. It sounds like you've got an active evening. (We do too. My DS plays baseball and we can be at a game/practice until after 7 any given night.) When we get home we get a light snack or drink (depending on the time.) We tackled homework if he hasn't done it earlier. Then we take time for a more peaceful stretch of activity - shower, reading, quiet games like legos, etc. By the time it's bed time they've come off that active high. For my family, it's not so much about tiring a kid out as it is helping them switch gears and settle down.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:48 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Idmrmom is right.... Sometimes doing activities late in the evening can make them more keyed up later. Maybe help him unwind by laying down and reading with him.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:30 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• we do that
    we actually.
    come home its dinner sometimes before or after practice it depends on how late we are running.
    we come home from practice and its bed / teeth/story. lights out.
    but he still gets up sooo early..
    hell pass out by 930ish. and hell get up anywheres from 5ish to 630 if im lucky 8am
    japandamommy

Answer by japandamommy at 11:33 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• i honestly think hes worrried about his time left with daddy...
    he talks about it and how proud he is of his daddy and his daddys a solider
    and hes going to miss him and cant wait for him to come back safly
    but he knows he has to go soon
    he wants him to be here to watch him meet ryan howard in sept.
    and for his and his brothers bday party in aug
    but if they decided to ship him out sonner then late sept.
    might b a prob based on our son..
    but i tried teeling him that we can always take lots of pics and send them to his father
    japandamommy

Answer by japandamommy at 11:35 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• In the summer, a trip to the pool, then supper & showers does it. Otherwise playing outside. I find that if they get too worn out & too tired they have a harder time falling asleep than any other time. Sounds like yours are too tired, honestly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• How old is your son?

My oldest is 7 - he'll be 8 the end of June. He goes to bed at 9. Gets to sleep usually closer to 9:30. He can wake up any time from 6am to 7:00 am as a norm. Sleeping "late" is 7:30. He's been known to go through stretches of getting up at 5:30 OR of getting up during the night and reading to himself until he falls back to sleep. He's simply getting all the sleep his body needs - even if I'd rather him get more. LOL!

Plus it does sound like your son has a lot on his mind. It makes sense that he's holding on to "not missing a thing." Best of luck to you and your family. Many thanks to your husband for his service.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• If I could bottle the energy of my children and sell it to adults as a street drug, I would be rich beyond my wildest dreams! LOL
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2010