Early Intervention Vs Private Insurance?

When a child has developmental delays the first things that parents are told is to contact Early Intervention Program. What if a family had Private Insurance would the Doctor still recommend Early Intervention. I would think if someone had Private Insurance that the Doctor could refer you to any specialist that would accept said Insurance. I don't understand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• your child can recieve services from both early intervention and private insurance, but getting services (therapy) approved for a delay through private insurance is REALLY hard, and normally has a cap of only a few visits, so most parents have to pay out of pocked for private therapy

I used to work for early intervention, feel free to ask me any questions
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I have private insurance. My pediatrician still referred us to EI. EI accepted my son even though he did not test as far behind as was necessary for qualification. My insurance would not have covered any treatment since he was only a little behind, and I believe my insurance requires testing by EI. I do pay for the EI services since it is based on income. I would gladly pay for private services out of pocket if necessary, but my pediatrician said EI was just as good as anything else that was available where we live.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Early intervention is free, with insurance you would at least have copays. Of course, if your child is delayed you can always use early intervention plus get additional therapy covered by your insurance. Also, early intervention usually asks if you have insurance, and will bill your insurance for services if you allow it. (3 of my children have received early intervention services from EI and 2 of them from additional private insurance)

Answer by missanc at 12:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Hi and thank you everyone for your posts. op
    Anonymous