Do your children have chores they are responsible for even on school days?

My 2 teenagers complain that my expectations are unfair considering they have school and homework. They each have daily responsibilities that would take me less than an hour to do. They think I should have a larger share of the housework. I disagree, what do you think?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 10:42 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My girls are 6 and 9 and they have chores- they take about 30 minutes to do. As they get older they will likely have more as they will ask for more from me (money/privilages).

If they want to do less they should get less :D
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:45 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I work full-time, and my teen does have regular daily chores. If I were staying home I'd still expect her to contribute to the family. i think it's important for kids to learn how to do basic things around the house and also learn to schedule their time around their responsibilities. I don't think school work is and excuse for doing no chores, other than maybe final exam time when I will cut her a break IF she is using the time to study.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• My TWO YEAR OLD has stuff she does every day, because it is good to teach them to be responsible from an early age!! Obviously she doesn't "study" but she does go to day care 2 days a week, and even on those days she has to do stuff at home, too.

Growing up was the same way with us, I had to do the dishes, or the laundry, or clean or something every single day. We would get a list at the beginning of the week of what we were required to finish by the end of the week, and we could (mostly) spread it out how we wanted, as long as we got it done. Obviously if you had dishes that week, you had to do them every day, but you get it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Take a hard honest look at your expectations doing the best you can to see tham from a childs point of view and abilities. If they still come up fair on the balance scale, reward them accordingly Pet responsibilities are the worst sometimes. Every child wants one to pet and play with and thats where it usually ends. My grandmother always made helping her fun, so don't be afraid to splash a little water on each other being playful. It's easily cleaned back up. When I went to live with my birth mom, when my GP's passed, it became a situation where I was set up for failure. Hope this helps
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 11:08 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• My 13 yr old has to put away clean dishes which takes literally a couple of minutes. Other than that his job is to do his homework then unwind by playing outside or reading. I don't believe in over working my kids on household things when I am home all day to do them.
    My 8 yr old's chore is to feed our lizard.
    My 5 yr old has no chore.
    They are all required to keep their rooms clean though and they are extremely respectful in that manner.
    I have a friend who is a SAHM and she makes her kids do EVERYTHING. Cooking, cleaning, laundry etc. They are failing out of school and I feel so sorry for them.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:27 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I think that you are the parent and you have every right to define their roles of responsibility in your home. If they want you to do more than you already do (which is probably more than they realize) then they can buy a house and have you live under their roof and they can make the rules :)

My son is only 20 months old and so far he is responsible for cleaning up his toys a couple times a day and before bed, and he "helps" set the table and clear the table at dinner.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:28 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Because I am a SAHM and because my children are busy high school students (they go to school, both work during the week, they have sports practice during the week and twice a school year for about 2-3 months each time the other has drama rehearsals) I do 99% of the chores here, I even straighten their rooms and make their beds. On school breaks they have chores....yard work, cleaning their rooms and breakfast & lunch dishes. During the school week they are expected, after school, to keep their belongings picked up and they take turns doing supper dishes/setting the table and they put their laundry away. That's it. They know how to cook, clean and do laundry but with a SAHM there's no reason for them to have a list of chores to do when they come home. They do A LOT in a day, they don't need MORE to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I am so sorry for taking more space here, but I did want to add that once the kids see the chores as pleasurable, they will more than likely be happy to jump in when it's a time crunch thing. It's hard to see our kids as "Time Crunched", but given their developing skills to concentrate and conceptualize, they sometimes feel as time crunched as we do. Also, when going over and above, it's right to give to them the things that motivate us as well such as letting them know what a tremendous help they were and giving them the credit for the success as well as maybe a treat break in the midst of their chores where they feel appreciated and can be encouraged. Thanks and good luck
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 11:33 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Ask them what chores they are willing to do then.
    Happypancake

Answer by Happypancake at 11:42 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• They sure do!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:50 AM on Apr. 15, 2010