Do you force people to take their shoes off before entering your home?

Our private tutor refused to take her shoes off. Now my dh says that he is going to tell her to not come back anymore when she returns to work.

Would you try to make your husband change his mind?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I always ask people to take off their shoes when they come in if they don't do it naturally. It's a respect thing for me. I'm Muslim and don't wear shoes in the house because I pray on the floor. It is important to keep the space that we pray on very clean. So taking your shoes off when entering my house is a sign of respect. I really wouldn't want someone in my house that didn't respect my religious beliefs.
    RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 4:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• No. :-) I prefer when they do, but not everyone is comfortable doing so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• If I have carpeting, sure and I believe thats proper. for those that come in a official or business reason or uncooperative relatives. would keep shoe booties. That said, I hate carpeting stained with dog urine, spit, feces or any of the things picked up by shoes. My solution was no more carpeting which helped trememdously with the dust issue as well. Even though I have wood and tile floors, my shoes still come off at the door and go into slippers. When guests leave, it only takes a few minutes to mop up their tracks.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 10:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• No, we have two dogs, so I'm sure they track in more dirt than our visitors. Plus, I've got a little bit of OCD when it comes to cleaning the floors/carpet, so it doesn't make much difference.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 10:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I personally think it's rude, I would never ask a someone to do it. I understand the urge to keep your floors clean but that's a heck of a way to welcome someone into your home.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 10:52 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Why wouldn't people want to take their shoes off??lol.. I mean, i don't force it but thought it was a normal thing to expect of people.. they have dirt on thier shoes... I wouldn't want that on my carpet
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:53 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• It's optional at our house...but generally the common practice by everyone in my town on snowy days just so we don't track in mud and salt.

I guess if she doesn't want to take her shoes off, you could try those nurse booties for her to wear over her shoes at your house.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:53 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• no i have a dog and a 20 month old, so peoples shoes can't do more damage to the carpet then they have. Just shampoo it every now and then
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I would love it if people removed their shoes when they come in our home. There is a little place right inside the door we put our shoes so we don't track dirt all over the house, especially DH because he gets so dirty at work. We don't force anyone to. It would be nice if they would put a little thought into not tracking dirt all over our hardwood floors but no one does.

As for your situation, I think if someone asks you to remove your shoes when they enter your home, it's kind of common courtesy to do so. That said, I don't know if it should be a firing offense, especially since she is tutoring your child.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I just wish my husband would take his work boots off when he walked in the door. He has NO IDEA how happy that would make me.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 15, 2010