Severe swelling / Pitting edema

I am almost 30 weeks pregnant with twins. I went to the Dr on April 1st and at that point everything was fine, no problems at all. But like 2 days after my appointment I started swelling in my feet, ankles and calves really bad. After a few days I called the nurses line at my doctor's office and they said not to worry about it. But now it's getting worse and it seems like my left foot, ankle and calf are barely swollen at all but my RIGHT foot, ankle and calf are swelled up really bad... like I can barely move my toes and I have no ankle anymore. LoL.

Also, if I press in on my calf, the dent stays for a while. I read last night that this is one fo the main signs of pre eclampsia so now I'm worrying myself to death. Have any of you had this happen? Was it anything serious?

I have another appointment today at 3 but I just wanted to get some opinions and see if any of you have experienced this! Thanks!

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had severe swelling with all my pregnancies, and the pitting edema you're talking about and have never had pre-e. You've got two babies in there, which doubles all these lovely side effects of pregnancy, but is also a reason to be monitored closely. Just go in for a BP and Urine check. Demand it if they tell you you're fine...better safe than sorry.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I had edema during my last pregnancy but did not have high blood pressure at all. The doc told me to watch for blurred vision, headaches or pain in my upper stomach (near my rib cage) It never went passed the swollen legs so I was thankful. They did say to drink more water which made no sense to me! It was from retaining water and salt and I guess you have to drink more water for your body to release the water that its storing
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:06 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Edema almost always pits. That's normal. When the dent stays for longer than 10 seconds is when you want to check your blood pressure. You can do so at home, it's really easy, you just need a blood pressure cuff and a stethescope, which you can get at Walgreens or Walmart.

Swelling is normal and pitting is pretty normal. Unless you're having epigastric pain, visual disturbances and a headache that you can't shake, I wouldn't worry about it.

Even if you have pitting edema that stays pitted longer than 10 seconds, that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your blood pressure, too. Don't freak out, mamma, chances are you're totally fine :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Oh, and if it turns out you ARE having BP problems, I would recommend the Brewer Diet for Pregnancy. Very effective in preventing BP problems :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I agree with the above. The reason for one side being more swollen could be the way the babies are positioned or how you're standing. Have a seat and get your ankles higher than your heart. Good practice to do this for at least an hour a day anyway, esp with twins!
    GL :) I'm sure you're fine.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 1:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I would make sure they take you Blood Pressure today and check your urine for protein. You are probably fine but make sure they check things out until you are satisfied so you don't have to go home and worry about it. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• my feet are pretty swollen but, the spot doesn't stay when i move my finger. BUT my coworker told me that hers would when she was pregnant 6 yrs ago.

gl at your appointment today :-)

my mw says that as long as i don't have chest pain, headaches, blurry vision, elevated BP, swelling is normal
    Anonymous