early potty training?

My son is 16 months old as has been taking his diapers off..... only when they where wet to begin with... but now he is taking them off and saying pee or poop and then peeing or pooping where ever he decided to take the diaper offf. So should I start potty trainging and does anyone have any suggestions?

kcriswell

Asked by kcriswell at 11:15 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Definitely. I would introduce the potty right about now...he sounds totally ready...Good luck. My DD is 2 1/2 and still refuses to pee on the potty...they say boys are harder...but hey, your son seems way ahead of my daughter, so who knows! lol good luck, hope all goes well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• yes i would my 19 month old is potty trained i started about 15-16 months. I don't really have any tips because my son kind of did it all on his own but i will say we bought a bag of tootsie rolls to get him to put his pants on and as a treat for using the potty
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• You might as well try. My daughter is 2 1/2 and doing the same thing and I can't get her to go on the potty, but maybe your son will. I don't think it's necessarily true that boys are harder, I waited until my son was almost 3 to potty train him, but when I did he was really easy.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Of course, get that boy on the potty! Not too long ago, 18 months was the average in this country for a child to be potty trained. My second daughter was doing just what yours is doing around the same age. We just started pulling her diaper down and having her sit on the potty -- at that age, she preferred the potty ring on the big toilet but it totally depends on the child whether they feel more comfortable on that or on the stand-alone potty chair. We'd put her on whenever she asked (usually whenever her sister sat there) or when she mentioned something going on in her diaper (sometimes she had already gone, sometimes not, but at least in encouraged the association between that and the potty), or when she took her diaper off. We also sat her there after meals and before and after sleep (naps and night). With no rewards except praise, she was hardly using her diaper by 17.5 months, so we put her in underwear. (Cont'd)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• (cont'd). If we took her to the potty periodically, she would have no accidents whatsoever, but then of course we started working with her to get us to tell us (reliably) when she had to go, and to do that, you definitely have to deal with some accidents. At 19 months now, she is in underwear around the clock and has an occasional partial wet when she's really into playing or when she's with someone other than me, but other than that she asks to go potty whenever she needs to go. She still needs help on and off the toilet, help with her pants and help with wiping, and some people claim that this means she's not trained. Whatever you want to call it, I'd rather be wiping a bottom and giving an occasional reminder to use the potty than changing diapers. And I think she'd rather be using the pot than sitting in a messy old diaper. Go for it and good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:28 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Also, there's no reason to have him sit on the potty for long periods waiting for something to come out. If you take him after meals, you're likely to start getting some "hits," but if you make them sit too much and too long before they start going in the potty, they tend to start resenting it. So don't expect immediate results, it's definitely a process. But he sounds totally ready to me.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2010