Eating healthy - getting fit

I have been slim all my life. As a teen I rode bike, danced and was always active. Now as a mom, it seems as if my own personal health is on the back burner. Being 30 I feel like I need to regain that energy I once had and it's time to once again start focusing on me. With the kids I must admit finding time to work out and even eat healthy feels impossible. Can you share what you do in the mornings to get something healthy in your stomach and also how you keep up with your exercise routines? I don't even know where to begin!

Cafe Chastity

Asked by Cafe Chastity at 11:32 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• i eat special k with red berries for breakfast or egg whites with non fat butter spray, i eat lean cuisine meals or chicken ceaser salads, things like that. i keep low fat string cheese & low fat yogurts for lunch & snacks. i wish i could make it to the gym but i cant really afford it & i dont feel like putting my son in the daycare, so i just bought the biggest loser cardio max DVD, i really really like it & it was only 13 bucks at best buy. i do it whenever i get the chance, even if that means at 11 at night when my son is in bed. alls you need is grab weights for it. i also will just randomly do crunches & sit ups, and whenever its nice out, i take my son for a walk around a pound around here & i power walk, as many laps as i can. it all adds up. i also drink envigas - www.enviga.com - i used to take mega-t green tea pills, they were good too. & alls i drink is water, lots of it all day.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:38 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I've started eating Kashi's Cinnamon Harvest cereal. I'm not a breakfast person but this is pretty good and has 5 grams of fiber.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:34 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• i use a chart. i my case the calender. i use it for the workouts that i am doing for that day. i also try to prepare all my meals in advance so i have more time on my hands. it is difficult for me too to find the time to do anything at all with my daughter but as i tell myself if you want something bad enough then nothing should stand in your way. good luck hun. i am trying to drop 30 myself.
    eva123

Answer by eva123 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I am not a breakfast person but have found that I can stomach fruit/yogurt smoothies and a piece of wheat toast. I try to work out after my boys leave for school, I take my daughter with me and she plays in the daycare for an hour while I take a class or hit the treadmill. I make sure I have plenty of veggies and fruits to snack on and try to plan my meals ahead so that I dont have the last minute "what are we having for dinner" crisis that normally leads to unhealthy choices.

I also changed the way the entire family eats not just how I eat. I found it was easier to make a change in the family diet that way i am less likely to eat bad things and I know i am teaching my kids good eating habits so they wont have the same struggles I do.

If I cant get to the gym, I walk while my son is at soccer practice, I can still watch how he is doing and get my workout in at the same time.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I just created a routine. I make sure I give my kids a healthy breakfast, so I make some for me too. Steel cut oats with berries and cinnamon, egg white omelet with veggies and whole wheat toast. When I grocery shop, I either buy veggies already cut up (more expensive, but worth it if you can afford it) or cut them up when I get home, so they're ready to go. I don't keep junk in the house, so the only snacks are healthy ones. I keep frozen veggies (which are just as healthy as fresh and more economical) handy so I can just throw veggies in with every meal.
    For exercise, start small, park at the end of the parking lot, walk stairs, take the long way somewhere. Buy a pedometer and make sure you take 10,000 steps a day. Take your kids for a walk, play a game with them.
    I go to the gym with childcare, so she gets to play while I workout. we both love it.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I'm a Beachbody Coach - I can help you get started and help keep you motivated.

In the morning - Oatmeal, bowl of fruit/grain cereal, cottage cheese w/ fruit or Shakeology (meal replacment shake).

Start & end each day & each meal w/ a glass of water.

Bake, broil, grill meat, cook w/ canola or olive oil, steamed veggies or saute in olive oil. Salads & fresh veggies w/ meals. The whole family can eat healthy!

Don't buy junk food. Lots of healthy snacks, fruit, granola bars, nuts, trail mix, fresh veggies.

Workout while watching tv or sitting at the computer. Suck in your stomach, hold, then release. (can also do this while driving)
    You can do crunches, lift weight, leg lifts or squats while watching TV.

I do threadmill and aerobic or kick boxing workouts. And trampoline jumping jacks w/ my grandkids! Great workout!

Lots more suggestions if you want.
    www.myshakeology.com/teamja
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 2:03 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I use a nutritional cleansing program. I lost 18 lbs and have kept it off for almost 8 months now. Message me if you want more info.
    mom2threets

Answer by mom2threets at 8:31 AM on Apr. 17, 2010