4mo old SHRIEKING

DD has recently discovered that she can make that high pitched squeel/sheriking noise on purpose and does it every time I'm not paying attention to her. I ignore her when she does it. i go to her when she stops. I tell her no in a harsh voice but she just looks at me crosses her eyes and grins lol. Is there anything I can to make her stop or do I have to suffer through it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• She will probably grow out of it....mine did. But until then get the BIG bottle of Tylenol.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 11:41 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• She's only 4 months old - she has no clue what "no" means - especially if you use a harsh voice to say it (your words, not mine). You're going to have to suffer through, because you cannot punish a 4 month old for a new discovery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• omg were u at target last night? there was a screaming 4 yr old I wanted to put out of her misery and her mother ignored it. Someone should have smacked that mom. who wants to hear that nonsense?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• once she starts talking it will slow down, unless she figures out its a great way to get your attention. Continue speaking in a soft voice, give her patience. But yes, you will have to suffer through it until she moves to her next stage in development.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:54 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• She's a freakin' baby exploring what she can do with her vocal chords. Deal with it. Babies make a lot of noise. I don't get people who want to stop their babies from using their voice - that is how they learn to communicate.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 12:39 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• The bad news is you do have to live with it- and she is just learning her voice so try not to scold for it too much. The good news is that she will find a different noise to make and move past this soon I am sure.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:38 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Shriek back at her.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• haha, rklomos - that's what we do when our daughter is babbling & cooing & shrieking. Our neighbors must think we're nuts.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 5:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• If you were to walk past our house you would think we were all looney, or beating our kids. It is loud with two boys aged 3 and 4. Always something, she will out grow it don't worry. If it bothers you and you want it to stop, don't give her attention for it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2010