freezing Breastmilk in ziploc bags???

I am wanting to freeze some breastmilk in an ice cube tray and then put the cubes in a ziploc bag to keep frozen. Is it ok to use the ziplock bags??? I don't think they are sterile but if its safe to put our food in you would think it would be ok. ideas????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes but make sure that you rotate your supply as your milk will change as the baby gets older and will need different nutrients later in age.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:49 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I probably would have done it had I been smart enough to come up with that idea lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I'd just make sure they were freezer safe bags, and maybe I'd double the bags.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Use brand-new freezer bags and you'll be fine. Don't reuse them either. Date them so you use the oldest first.
    Anonymous

• i have seen them in the nicu deep freezer so it is fine. they sell bags without the dhr or whatever the bad thing in plastic that leaches into food. but yea you are fine to use regular ones. i would be really careful with the ice tray == making sure it is clean. look up how long it lasts in a regular freezer too. if it isnt a deep freeze it is only a few months i think.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Make sure that you are using BPA-free plastic

Answer by rkoloms at 5:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• They have breastmilk containers for freezing that are really cheap. The ziploc bags sound unsanitary. And yes, make sure anything you use is BPA free.
    SinaiJ

Answer by SinaiJ at 2:36 AM on Apr. 16, 2010