question for mothers that make their own baby food

When the time comes I would really like to make my own baby food, because I think it might be cheaper. But is it and is it worth the extra time? also I have a blender, but would suggest something else to puree the food.

cherylw993

Asked by cherylw993 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used the bullet blender. It kept the portions small and really pureed well compared to a blender. I would recommend it. You can make extra and freeze it in ice cube tray to thaw later as well. I made @80% of the baby food that Dd ate.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I is so worth it and way cheaper. I used a little pood processor.

You can freeze them in ice cube trays and take a chunk or two in a tightly seal bolw if you need to go somewhere, it should be thawed and right when you need it.

Different veggies work better than others. I used fresh, forzen and canned. Depending on which way worked best. If you wait until your child is able to self feed instead of needing it pureed it will be even easier.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:57 AM on Apr. 15, 2010

• It's not all that time consuming. It's easy. And it's inexpensive.
    Anonymous

• I just waited until they could pick-up soft foods and feed themselves.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• it is so worth the extra time! and it really doesnt take up that much time! if you have to cook the food first, such as sweet potatoes...carrots...etc, you steam them till they are soft, let them cool a bit, mix with the water you steamed them with, mash up (or puree) and serve! any extra can be stored in an ice cube tray, freeze over night, store cubes in freezer bag, and it will be good for a month. when my son first started out, 2 sweet potatoes fed him for 2 weeks. other foods like bananas, you can simply mash and serve
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I made some of my DD's baby food myself- I used a food processor, and sometimes I would use one of those submersion blenders. Honestly, I really didn't feel it was a huge money saver and the time it took didn't seem to get me enough benefit either. I probably fed her about 50/50 stuff I made and stuff I bought. When I bought her food I did get organic jarred baby food. I just feel this is one of those things that I had great visions of when I was pregnant and when it came down to it I really didn't feel it was completely worth my time. I wouldn't say it was a waste of time necessarily, but I'm not really eager to do it again for my next child.
    Oh, and I think a blender would work fine, especially at first because you'll be adding some water to make the pureed food nice and smooth and not too thick. And definitely make extra to freeze.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• It really doesn't take all that much time. I usually steam the veggies while I'm making dinner. Then I use the bullet and then put them into a mini muffin pan in the freezer. Once they are frozen I transfer them to a ziplock bag.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• @Owl Feather, 2 potatoes, even the huge ones would last two meals with my son. He could freakin' eat. At 6 or 7 months, he could eat an entire one at one sitting. After having a huge bowl full of oatmeat at breakfast. LOL And, he was still getting his 32oz of formula, an 8-9 oz bottle every 4 hours. He also stayed in the 50th percentile for height and weight then. I still don't know how.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• you know, you can get a food mill and just grind up whatever you are having. steam up some veggies or fruit and grind away. squirt in a little breast milk or formula and voila! you are done momma. It will make you eat better too. Once we introduce the foods, I would pile in checken rice and veggies into the grinder all together and there baby has a full meal!
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 1:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• It is totally worth it, and doesn't take much time. I got a Magic Bullet for $40 and got more than my money's worth out of it. I started him with sweet potatoes, avocado, and bananas, none of which need to be blended, just bake the potatoes and then mash them. I bought all different kinds of frozen fruit and blended them, either separately, or in different combinations. I would also steam other veggies and blend them--zucchini, yellow squash, carrots (after 6 months), peas, etc. When he started eating meat, I would cook chicken, peaches, a little water, and brown rice in the slow cooker, then either blend it or mash it, once he could start chewing more. I also made baby beef stew, with stew meat, frozen peas and carrots, peeled potatoes and just a little water, then blended or mashed that. Freeze in an ice cube tray, then store in Ziploc bags. When he started eating more in 1 sitting, I froze it in small Ziploc containers
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2010