umployment question for the employers

So my hours got cut drasitcally and it is only supposed to be temporary but here in california if you arent working a full 40 hours a week you can still file for unemployment, my question is, does the employer still have to pay just not as much?

xxSummaxx13

Asked by xxSummaxx13 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• Your employer matches the same amount of unemployment that you pay into it. I'm unfamiliar with collecting unemployment for under-employment purposes, however, your employer must continue to match the dollar amount you pay in regardless of if you use it or not. Your employer doesn't pay anything extra. Unemployment is getting the money that way paid in by both you and your employer back.
    Anonymous

• you can qualify for underemployment possibly
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I would think it would have that information within your state's unemployment law. I do know that in order to receive unemployment benefits, you need to be actively looking for a job. Meaning you have to submit a certain number of applications a week. If you aren't looking to replace your job, but just supplement your income for the time being, I think you should be able to apply for PA. Good luck.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• lol well it wasnt my question on if i can, I have already done the research and know i can, my question is, what does it mean for the employer?
    xxSummaxx13

Answer by xxSummaxx13 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• If you call the unemployment office, they may be able to tell you what your employer's responsibilities are.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• The employer can't cut your pay simply because you file for temp cut-back benefits.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 1:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• In Illinois, you can collect if you earn less than $355 a week (or somewhere around there)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• rk I live in Illinois and that's good to know. I may have to go on unemployment next school year due to the lovely budget cuts across the school districts. I'd still like to tutor at a Sylvan or something, which is definitely less than $355/week.

Anonymous