At what age is considered old enough??

My daughter is 3&1/2, and I want to start giving her an allowance at the end of the week, but I don't know that she is old enough. I want to know what you think. I was thinking about maybe either $1 a week, or a dollar for her age at the end of the week. So what do you think??? Of course there are chores that I expect to be done by the end of the week, yet again, I need to know what you think. Please help.

chelcityrocks

Asked by chelcityrocks at 12:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I gave my daughter a quareter a day at that age. She loved having some coins for the machines at the store. She thought quarters (or any coins really) were better than paper money at that age.
    Anonymous

• I don't give a real steady income to my kids yet..... but for special events I allow them to earn short term and specific allowances. for example next wk is that new earth day movie in theaters and they want to go, BAD. They're slowly day by day earning ticket and popcorn $$$$ by using perfect manners, doing extra chores, napping or resting well, and so on.

they're 3 1/2 and 5.... we'll do real traditional allowances once they start kindergarten I suppose
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• When my daughter was that age, we had a reward chart. she had a few things to do every day (clean up toys, brush teeth, etc...) and we would put stickers on her chart for each one that she did for that day. At the end of the week we would count up the stickers and she would get the "prize" that corresponds with the sticker amount. For instance, if she got ALL of the stickers she could get a new toy....10-15 stickers we would take her out for ice cream, etc...
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 12:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• That's way to young!! Wait until she starts Kindergarten at least, and "gets" the value of money. If you do it now you have to reward her daily , or right when the task is completed. The only "chores" she should be doing at this age is picking up her own toys and placing her dirty clothes in the hamper, personal responsibility type stuff, not your house chores! She's to young to draw a line between the "chore" she didn't do on Monday and the reason you are withholding her pay on Saturday!!

Anonymous

• I just give my 3.5 year old whatever change I might have in my pocket so she can put it in her piggy bank.
    Anonymous

• I don't give an allowance to anyone that's not old enough to count money and have some vague concept of it's worth.
    Anonymous

• My son began an allowance at 4 yrs old. He got $2 a week. One for him and one for the "helping bucket" we kept in the kitchen. Money in that bucket was used to donate to whatever cause we agreed upon as a family. My DD was intrigued and asked to begin an allowance when she was 3 - after seeing big brother with his. We set out a list of chores and followed the same protocol. They are now 7 and 5. Today we keep a list of chores with associated coin values. They earn money for each item they complete during the week. I pay them at the end of the week. They don't usually net more than a $1.50 for their own pocket at any time unless we had something BIG like "help rake leaves" or "shovel bushels of snow." LOL!

Since we started, my kids have learned to save their money for items they want. They both have their own cash when we go on vacation. DS has saved up to buy himself video games he didn't want to wait for his birthday to get.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I disagree that you need to wait for a child to learn money concepts before you give an allowance. You can use an allowance to TEACH them money concepts. Both my kids understood the value of a $1 before they started school BECAUSE they had their own money. They knew coin values before starting kindergarten BECAUSE they had their own money.

We didn't just hand them cash and set them on their way. We talked about how you don't get money without earning money unless it's a gift for a birthday or holiday. We talked about how much items cost. We related cost of big items to how long it'd take them to save up. "That game is $50. If you saved only your allowance, it'd take you a year to save up for it. That'd be from this age of 4 until you were 5 years old to get it." It didn't take long for them to grasp the basic concepts. We also worked with price tags and shelf stickers to discuss price and value.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• My son started getting an allowance at age 3 and he very quickly learned the value of money. One week he spent his allowance on a donut and then realized he didn't have any money left to save or to buy a Hot Wheel with. He hasn't wasted money since and that was over a year ago. He's 4.5 now and he usually saves up for stuff. He gets $1 allowance plus an extra dollar if he does his chores without argument.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• We give Kiwi $2.00 a week, every Saturday with a "bonus" for doing extra chores, like helping with other cleaning or child-appropriate cooking. She dresses herself, puts her dirty clothes in her hamper, puts her clean clothes in the correct drawers in her dressers when I do laundry, picks up after her puppy and makes sure she has food and water in the dish, puts her dishes in the sink, keeps her toys picked up, her room clean, and her bathroom sink and counter wiped off with paper towels and water ( I don't allow her to use cleaning products). When she first started asking for allowance when she was 3, we told her the chores we would expect of her, and haven't had to remind her once in two years. If your kid is mature enough to do the chores and connect the chores with the money at the end of the week, then go for it. If not, just pay her a quarter or something at the end of every day.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2010