I overheard my doctor saying to a nurse...

I was sitting in the exam room waiting for my normal Ob check up and sense our rooms there arent Soundproof at all, i over heard my doctor telling one of the nurses that in another office downtown, some women went in to do her one hour glucose test she got a headache so they let her lay down in a different room. Well apparently a half hour later the nurse there went in to draw her bloodwork and check the babys heartbeat... But they said she was laying flat on her back and from doing so ended up stoping the babys heart! My doctor then went into every exam room in our office and marked the tables and said no one is to lower them past his mark. I was shocked. I didnt know that could actually happen!

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 1:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• FYI i wasnt ezdropping... I just heard alot of comotion in the office next to me and i was alone and couldnt help but hear this! I just want to make sure thats clear, i know how some ppl on here would male a nasty comment about that. K thanks.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 1:05 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Yeah, that's why they say don't lay on your back or your stomach. Lay on your sides, and preferrably your left side!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 1:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I would be very surprised that this is what caused the babys heart to stop. I think if this was the case more Doctors would make it absolutely known over and over again not to lay on back and explain what the dangers were. Sounds like you need to get yourself a new doc. this one sounds looney!!!
    Anonymous

• I overhear everything at my doctors office also. It's kind of uncomfortable when you hear some very personal things about people that they tell the doctor lol.
    But, I didn't know that could happen either. How sad=[
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Interesting. I sleep on my back sometimes (I'm 39 weeks) because sometimes that's just the most comfortable. Usually after a half hour or so it starts to become uncomfortable so I move. My doctor has suggested sleeping left side, but has never 'forbidden' me to sleep other ways. He says as long as I'm comfortable it's fine.
    I think more likely her blood glucose level dropped to a dangerous level, which killed the baby.
    Poor thing! How horrible.
    jenwmuot

Answer by jenwmuot at 1:12 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Wow... I laid on my back every time I went in to see my OB, when he measured me I had to be flat on my back. Just because they have MD behind their name doesn't mean they know everything. I had 3 healthy babies, never any heartbeat problems while at the Dr.... Relax Momma, and maybe look into a new OB..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I also slept on my back at times all the way up to the end of my pregnancy. My doctor told me if I was cutting off circulation to the baby I would also be cutting off circulation to my legs and would get really uncomfortable, so not to worry about it if that was how I was comfortable. So I would think if that lady was awake and concious she would have felt uncomfortable and moved if it were getting to that point. By the way I would go to sleep on my side but wake up on my back so I wasn't doing it on purpose.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• im hopeing this was just a freak accedent either way, cause sometimes i wake up on my back in the morning and im 33 wks. Even if this was caused by something else i think i will always panic for a moment when i wake up like this now.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 1:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• That was not likely to be the cause of the baby's death. It would be more likely that the mother would die from the compression of the aorta. They tell you not to lay on your back during pregnancy because the compression on the artery can make you pass out. No pregnant woman should like FLAT on her back. You should always stay at a 30 degree angle or more.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 1:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I'd suggest a new OB as well, I was always told to favor my left side my don't worry too much about being on your back because you won't be comfy long that wayu anyways. She may have had a rare case, but im not a dr and i dont trust them the way many do.
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 1:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2010