Were you a girl scout?

What were your favorite memories? Looking for new fun stuff to do with my troop. Girls are 8 yrs old. All ideas appreciated.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I loved camping with my scout troop when I was a scout. My daughter is now a scout and we do a lot of stuff outdoors, and lots of crafts. We volunteer at the local animal shelter. We march in all the local parades (as a troop) and our girls LOVE that!! Our troop is brownies and JR mixed. Camping trips are generally one night and the girl’s like being taught how to tent camp, build fires, outdoor cooking, ect. My favorite thing from camping trips was being taught how to make marks along the trails (usually with sticks and rocks, and I think there is a badge for it)

Good Luck!! Scouting is awesome!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• another thing that has been kinda fun that I just thought of.... our troop was matched with another troop on the other side of the state and we've set them up as pen pals. They sent short notes and small swap crafts to each other. The girl's also share scouting ideas with each other. I would love for them to get some pen pals in another stae or even another country.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:13 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• CAMPING!!! Kyacking (spelling? lol), canoeing, and cooking outdoors! I hated the "crafts" I hated selling cookies...but loved to eat them! lol
    Anonymous

• LOL @ myself... I bet I can come up with all kinds of things to add....

another thing we did recently that the girls liked was making a simple meal for our local firemen. The girl's delivered the meal and were given a tour of the station and a crash course in fire safety (another badge and fun patch)

the girls also have made home made dog/cat treats for the animal shelter, and home made glycerin soaps. We also made the fleece blankets (with simple tied sides) to donate to different places like the women’s shelter and to the police department to carry in their trunks (they gibe them to children they find in high stress situations)
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Great Ideas!!! I am on my 3rd year leading and it is the same girls so I keep trying to come up with fun stuff! Keep the ideas coming!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I'm going to bookmark your post, so I can add more ideas later when I have more time. Another thing that just came to mind though is powder puff derby. The boy scouts have the monopoly on this, but our girls had a BALL making powder-puff cars (same kits as the boy scouts use) our local boy scout council let us use their track for our race and we had a bunch of our neighboring troops participate with us on this. I think there were about 50 girls that came to our powder-puff race.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:37 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Veronica our town is thinking of putting on the Powder puff derby for our father daughter event this year! I am sooo excited about it!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Painting pottery, (mom had them fired). Make dinner for Mom and Dad, visit nursing homes singing songs. Do you have a gps, how about geo-caching? Nature hikes, Some of those are really old fashioned now. I'm a grandmother now.
    Anonymous