Favorite cloth diapers and surprise factors?

What is your favorite type of cloth diaper, or what worked best for you? Were there any surprise factors with the cloth diapers? Any suggestions RE: cleaning? We used disposable for the first two children, and I'm contemplating switching to cloth for this baby due in August.

JennaKay76

Asked by JennaKay76 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I love prefolds and fitteds. My favorite kind of cover (that I bought - I have some that I made myself which I also really like) are from cheekydiapers.com. So cute! I just get prefolds from Walmart, I think there are some at Target as well, and I made all my fitteds (much, much cheaper than buying them). They really are not hard to make. I taught myself how to sew with them! The hardest thing is night time diapers. I ended up using disposable on my oldest son because he's a HUGE night time wetter! My youngest is only a couple months old and so I am up changing him still. I will have to come up with some sort of solution once he starts sleeping through the night. For more info try the Cuties with Cloth Booties group.
    When I got pregnant with my first I said that cloth diapering was the one thing that I would NEVER do, lol. Now that I actually do it I LOVE it, lol. Plus my boys have the cutest baby bums in the world!
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 1:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• My favorite ones were high quality all-in-ones that were made by WAHM. I bought most of mine on ebay. Generally you can order one, try it out, and then if you like it order a quantity. The all in ones make it SO much easier than the old fashion Birdseye and plastic pants. I kept a bucket full of soapy vinegar water and when it was full dumped it in the washer. I always dumped BM in the potty and that helped make the whole washing process more pleasant.

Good Luck! I loved the clothe diapers, but for me it was too much work to take them out of the house, so I used disposable ones when we weren’t at home.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I'm due in August too :)

My favorite diapers are Thirsties Duo diapers. They're a little spendy, but when you factor in that they are 2 sizes in 1 then you're getting a really good deal ($10.50 for a diaper is excellent!). I really like fitted diapers with covers for nighttime, they're just easy to bulk up and make work.

I don't recommend Kissaluvs... just FYI lol. A lot of moms use prefolds, but meh... I'm really REALLY not a fan lol.

For washing I do 1-2 loads a week (every 3 or 4 days). I use Thirsties detergent and pre-wash, with 4 extra rinses (my daughter has rash problems if I don't rinse enough).

Surprises... well, I was surprised at how easy cloth is to travel with for short trips. I was also surprised at how easy washing them is. For newborn breastmilk poop you don't even have to do anything, you just wash them :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2010