potty training question, yet again for my 22 month old

my dd used to be so good about telling us right after she peed and pooped...well, she's been going bottomless for a few days bc i caught her the other day lifting her shirt up (after she pulled her pants and diaper off) pushing and starting to pee..i said, we peepee in the potty, and she stopped looked at me backed up a few steps, and started peeing again and by the time we got to the potty she was already done..so, we started the process trying to potty train..i know it's a long process..but she doesn't want anything to do with her potty. she's been telling us for months now that she needs to potty and grabs her diaper..but she just makes it into a game, and wants off imediately after being put on...advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she is ready, it won't be a long process. Wait a few months, then take the diapers away completely. It really only needs to take a few days.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• but its the fact that she sits on the potty and gets up as soon as her bottom touches the seat...and then she'll pee in the floor..how do i actually get her to sit there??
    Anonymous

• My daughter had that instinct right at first, and we overcame it by pulling out one of her favorite books right as she started wanting to get up. And this was after SHE told us she needed to go... we'd pull out the book and start reading and she'd relax and go. We ended up with a whole shelf of books by the toilet in our bathroom lol. The younger ones need things like these. People have a lot of different opinions about the amount of work potty training should be... Personally, I believe if she's telling you before she goes she's as ready as she needs to be. What you want to do with that is up to you. Sure, it may only take a few days if you wait awhile, but to me, it seems like when a child initiates the potty learning like that, you go with it, even though it may take a little work. My daughters both trained young, and I'm sure I could have waited but why make a child sit in pee and poop when they can learn?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:47 PM on Apr. 15, 2010