growing up :(?

so this week has been the first time that ds (19 months) has gone to daycare without crying..and part of me is happy,but the other part is sad that he doesnt seem to need me anymore. and then on wendsday his dad came over to hang out and I was leaving and trying to get a hug and ds pushed me away and was like "bye" ugh i'm trying to be the grown up and not be hurt by this but is he just growing up or do i need to be putting more effort into our relationship? sorry i know how ridiculous this sounds but i need some reassurance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You're doing fine. He's getting more independent, and that's normal. He's still going to need his Mommy sometimes - just maybe not as often. I know with my oldest it hurt my feelings a little, but then when she was sick and only wanted to cuddle in my lap it was even more precious.
    Anonymous

• Aww! He's just a full on toddler now that's all! He still needs you and will NEVER stop needing you! He's just growing in independence and that's a really good thing. It means you're doing a good job. He'll still run to you when he scrapes his knees or when he doesn't feel good. He's just growing more confident that he can handle the world and doesn't need to be at your foot 100% in order to feel secure. You should be so proud of your tough little man :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• oh mommy I KNOW That feeling..last night Max was making me and daddy pretend food in his little kitchen and he handed it to us and pointed and said "ok, but it is hot though, so you have to blow on it" and he's 2-1/2 and for some reason, that made me cry like a baby.. like he wasn't a baby and KNEW Things now.. like, REALLY understands things..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Sometimes I go to pick my DD up from daycare (18 months) and she doesn't want to leave and fights me to put on her coat. I try to tell myself that I am glad she loves her daycare so much but secretly I wish she was a bit more excited to be coming home with me. Just look at it this way, you are doing such a good job as a Mama that your son is growing up to be secure and independent- he knows that you will always come back for him so he has learned not to fret so much at your leaving. It really is a good thing, and when something scary happens or he gets sick or has a boo-boo he will be right back to that clingy, needy, cuddly monster and you will be ready for a moment of peace without a toddler on your leg. Don't worry, you are still his number one!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:25 PM on Apr. 15, 2010