will my son ever eat real food?!

He will be 1 may 5th, and he still wont eat table/solid food. He loves all the baby food, so ive tried giving him regular peas, carrots, green beans, graduate diced apples, banana & some noodles...but he just plays with it & when i do get a peice in his mouth he spits it out! Is this normal?!

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. Keep trying. It's probably a texture thing. He's so used the texture of baby food and you're introducing something new to him that feels completely different. I was told that it sometimes takes introducing a new food up to ten times before a baby will try it. Maybe just introduce a few things at a time until he starts eating it and then move onto something else. If you're still concerned, be sure to talk with his doctor.
    KendraR

Answer by KendraR at 2:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• thank you so much! I think it is a texture thing, the only graduate snack i can get him to eat is the lil'crunchies! He wont eat anything else!
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Yep. He's normal. Just continue to offer and don't sweat it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• My son never really had an interest in solids until around 14 months and had the odd bit of food before this...so I wouldn't worry too much.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:16 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I would say don't give up. If you do you might have problems with your child and food later on in life. My ten year old did the same thing and all through the years he would only eat certain foods because I didn't try hard enough to get him to eat the new stuff as a baby. Also it could just be the texture. Maybe throw it in the blender or mash it up a little and each time do it a little less. Good luck and God bless.
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• It may not be normal. Your baby may have tactile sensitivity issues with his mouth. What can happen with babies with tactile sensitivities is they do ok until around a year and then their weigh gain slows or stops because they won't eat regular food. They can become failure to thrive. There is occupational therapy for babies with tactile sensitives to help them eat food texture. You can find out if there is an occupational therapist trained to help babies with tactile problems in your area and ask to have your baby evaluated.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:36 PM on Apr. 15, 2010