Reflux: Will decreasing the formula amount and increasing frequency help?

William is 11 weeks old and was diagnosed with reflux or GERD at 4 weeks of age. We started him on Zantac Liquid twice a day 2 weeks ago and he hasnt done much better. I took him to the doctor yesterday & they gave us a prescription for Prevacid solu-tabs. WE CAN'T AFFORD THE PRESCRITION AT $119 FOR A 30 day supply. The doctor always said to descrease his formula from 5 1/2 to 6 ounces every 3-4 hours to 3 1/2 to 4 hours every 2-3 hours. I have seen a small amount of change in 24 hours. Any other suggestions, I will continue to do Zantac 2 times a day.

MomWilliamJames

Asked by MomWilliamJames at 1:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Follow the doctor's orders...it WILL help. You're already seeing it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• You can still breastfeed. La Leche League Leaders and lactation consultants help women relactate all the time when their babies get sick from formula and they can't afford meds or special formulas. Of course breastfeeding would be better for the baby than all the meds. Help from LLL is free.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I know it's rough. My son also had bad reflux. Try to keep him up at a 30 degree (or greater) angle AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE - at least for 30 minutes after each meal. Gravity can help keep the food down. My son mostly slept in a bouncy chair or in my arms for months! Don't use a swing - the motion isn't good.

Even if you do all this, he may still need some meds. Is there a generic version of Prevacid? The doc might also be able to slip you some freebies (they get samples from pharmaceutical reps). If you have insurance, ask if they cover certain brands, and work with the pediatrician to find something cheaper that works. Don't be afraid to talk about needing help with the cost!!

And don't worry, it gets better as they get bigger!! The first few months are the hardest.

BTW, my son & niece were breastfed and still had horrible reflux. Breastmilk doesn't cure everything! It only got better with lifestyle tweaks AND medicine.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:23 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• That might help. Speak to the dr about the cost of the Prevacid, he may have samples, he may be able to switch it, or he may be able to obtain a prior approval from your insurance company so they'll cover it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• is there a generic? call different pharmacies, some are cheaper. go to the website of the manufacterer, they sometimes offer discounts
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Both of my kids had GERD. My son has Down's and was sent home with a sleep apnea monitor because of the GERD. I switched him to the Carnation Good Start and he came off the medicine and the monitor. My daughter did fine once we changed her formula also. Talk to your doctor and see if changing the formula will help. Good luck.
    jessicazeksmom

Answer by jessicazeksmom at 6:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2010