Do i have to use the same brand of formula?

my son is on similac advanced, he has been on it for 5 months. Well i was wondering if i have to buy similac only. He hasnt had any complications with formula, no diarreah or anything. Could i maybe buy a few cans of another brand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From my understanding they are all the same except for the name & type( ex: soy base)
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• My pediatrician told me it was fine to switch formula, but your baby might take a little time getting used to it and it could cause some minor tummy issues until he adjusts. I switched from Similac Advanced to the store brand at Sam's club and saved a ton of money with my twins.
    Anonymous

• I used to think so..that you had to stick to the same kind,same brand. But a lady I babysit for switches her babies brand once in awhile. He's on Similac Advance to but sometimes she buys the generic equivilant of it from Sams Club. It has the same exact ingrediants in it and on the can it says comparable to Similac Advance. He has always seemed fine with the switch up.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I basically always used the same brand, but when I had a great coupon for another brand, I would use it. My kids never had a problem.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I never did, but we recieved free through WIC. Originally dd was on Enfamil and when we switched her to Similac Advanced (because WIC wouldn't cover Enfamil) she experienced problems so I had to put her on Similac Sensitive. After that experience I wouldn't go anywhere near a different brand of formula! Besides, you need to slowly add one brand to the other so they can adjust easier.
    Anonymous

• ok i am on wic and my ds runs out before i can get more, would it be bad to use similac then a generic brand then go back to similac?
    Anonymous

• Your child should not be running out of WIC formula unless you are feeding him WAY too much.
    Anonymous

• anon 214 wic is a SUPPLEMENT! once babies hit about 6-9 months....wic is not enough to cover you the whole month..with my middle child we had to buy atleast one of the big cans to get him through to his next set of supplements...same once they are switched to cows milk....it's just a supplement...wic still expects you to buy more...unless you don't need it
    Anonymous

• You can contact WIC and get supplement for the rest of the month. They will then mostly look over your files and see how much you are feeding him and when, see if you're wasting formula or re-calculate the amount that they are giving you. You SHOULD contact them and ask for this!
    Anonymous

• My son had WIC, and he got exactly what he needed. He drank a bottle every four hours according to his tummy. I can't remember if he had 6oz or not, but, he never drank more than 32oz a day. And he got exactly what he needed I never had to buy more. No baby should be going over the amount they are giving you. Unless by some freak accident they are giving too little.
    Anonymous