For non-homeschoolers: Do things come up that make you wish sometimes that you did homeschool?

I work and I don't really see homeschooling as a practical idea for my family, and there are reasons I believe my kids benefit from regular school. Still, there are events or news stories that catch my attention sometimes and make me wonder if maybe I should go get my kids and teach them at home. Are there things that make you wonder if homeschooling might be a better option for your kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have a kindergartener and a pre-schooler. I often debate if home schooling is right for me and my kids. I do really well teaching the pre-school stuff but I don't know if I can do older grades. My oldest and I butt heads a lot when I'm trying to teach her something and I know she really likes the social aspect of school. But yes, I am scared by some of the stories I hear involving school age kids and I want to protect my girls as best as I can. So I go back and forth all the time about on this issue. There are a lot of moms who home school in my area so I'd have a huge support system.
    KendraR

Answer by KendraR at 2:17 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• nope... I would be a terrible teacher.. he is far better off in school with a qualified educator
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Not outside stuff. Just the fact that my son does better when it is quiet and not with all the distractions. he doesn't like some teacher and they don't like him. So, if he could stay at home and do computer school and school with me, he would do so much better. I am single and I work fulltime, so, it would be hard.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Not once. My home is no safer than his school, his school is no less safe than my home.

Heck, I know homes that ARE less safe than the school environment.

And his math homework lately convinces me I'd be doing him a HUGE disservice....I couldn't possibly teach him what he's learning at school. He's teaching it to ME!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:22 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I know my son will benefit more from learning at home. He gets soooo distracted at school. He is currently in a small kindergarted class of 13 kids. I am still debating homeschooling for next year. It all comes down to if I can do it myself. I know homeschool kids are so much more well rounded (if they are involved in plenty of social activities).
    Anonymous

• Not necessarily.

If I felt the school couldn't handle my DDs allergies, I'd home school her for her own health and safety. However, the school does an awesome job at keeping her safe without excluding her from anything.

My kids are both academically advanced. If I felt the school wasn't doing anything to keep them engaged and challenged, I'd consider other options - including homeschooling. However, the school is doing just what it should.

I don't consider my kids "public schooled." I consider them "kids lucky enough to go to school AND to continue learning at home." We're a partnership with their teachers and they 'home school' as much as they learn in the classroom. We just don't do it completely on our own. Its the best option or us.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Only when my daughter was commuting to school in winter weather. I know that I could never prepare her for college, and she is on track to get accepted by an ivy

Answer by rkoloms at 4:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Anon - give it up already! How the hell does going to public school prepare you for the real world?? This statement is idiotic and makes no sense!
    Anonymous

• it is always in the back of my mind. i know a woman with 8 kids, and she homechooled (s) them. 1 finished college, and 3 are in college. they all got great scholarships.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:03 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• No- because I'm a horrible teacher. I do wish I could afford private school, because there are some circumstances where I would prefer to have more control over my child's education. For instance, my youngest will be 3 when she starts jk.... the cutoff is Dec 31st in my province, and she is born Dec 20th. I would like to hold her back for a year because I don't think she will be ready, but my province does not allow me that choice. My oldest has some learning disabilities, and I sometimes wish I could pay for him to be in an environment that teaches in a way that is easier for him to learn, or to work on the areas where he needs help more intensively.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2010