how can i get my son to eat healthy foods

My son is such a picky eater. i try to get him to eat different foods but he wont even try anything new. i try to have him sit with us at dinner to eat what we are eating and he has no interest what so ever. The only vegetables he will eat are broccoli lettuce blk olives. on occasion he will eat a pepper. He only eats raisans bananas and sometimes grapes for fruit. for lunch and dinner its either chicken nuggets, pizza, mac and cheese, peanut butter and jelly sandwhices, smuckers cheese sandwhiches, frozen fish sticks. I need to be more sneaky i smash carrots up and put them in mac and cheese. any ideas?

bellajd84

Asked by bellajd84 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If he doesn't eat what you serve, then he doesn't eat. the next meal will be in x hours. I am NOT a short order cook unless they are sick. I make 1 meal and that is it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Oh, and they will not starve. They will eventually eat when they realize that you will not give in.
    Jademom07

• I believe you need to fix a healthy meal and sit it in front of him. He will eat or not. Do it everytime. He will eventually and he will not starve. No more nuggets, pizza or mac and cheese, those are not healthy unless you made them from scratch with whole grains and healthy ingredients. Put grilled/baked chiken breast and some healthy veggies in front of him. Like baked sweet potato, avocado.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Quit feeding him the crap - quit buying the crap, for that matter. If it's not in the house, you can't feed it to him - he can't eat anything that you don't give him so if you want him to eat healthy things, you have to buy, prepare, and feed him healthy things. At this point it's all you - he has no say in the matter, he doesn't buy the groceries, he doesn't prepare the meals.
    Anonymous

• Stop feeding him junk.

Lids love to dip; offer him cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

Answer by rkoloms at 4:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• i agree with what they are saying but i have a few tricks up my sleeve as well. my son doesnt like almost everything! but my rule is he has to try everything at least once, then if he doesnt like it he doesnt have to eat it, but he wont get anything else. also i try to give him two things i know he likes and one he either doesnt like or hasnt tried yet. before he eats the things he like he has to try the one he doesnt or hasnt tried before. after he has tried it he can eat the other two things on his plate. that way he has tried something different and still doesnt go hungry and you wont have hell later. also when he does try it give him lots of praise for trying something new that way he is more willing to do it agian. children want to please their parents and they like to know they are doing something good.
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 8:26 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• He will eat what you give him. Put a healthy meal in front of him, if he doesn't eat it fine. Try again at lunch time. If he doesn't eat it, don't force him. Try again at dinner time. He won't starve. When he gets hungry enough he'll eat whatever you put in front of him. Provide healthy snacks, and quit buying the junk.
    Anonymous