Would you undergo screening process to donate milk?

I've never heard of this.
Human Milk Banking?
"Moms from all over the US and Canada can donate their extra milk to help save premature and sick infants. Even if there isn't a non-profit bank in your city you can contact the bank closest to you and inquire about having your milk shipped to the bank. All costs of screening and shipping are covered by the receiving bank."
http://www.hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I almost donated my left over milk, but since my son was born at 28 weeks it wasnt accepted.
    For those who say they wouldnt donate or use donated milk-what if your child was a micro preemie like mine and needed the milk? Thankfully I had a good supply considering I was pumping, but preemies NEED the breast milk.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Sure I would. But I would also need them to provide an adequate pump. I couldn't afford the kind of pump that much pumping would require.
    Anonymous

• I was going to but since I went back to work, I had supply issues
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• yep, if I had enough milk to donate.. every drop I pumped went to feeding DS while I was at work
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I think it sounds awesome and I imagine they treat it like they do blood donations. Scutinize it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• No, I would not go through the screenings because I wouldn't donate. I don't judge those who do, but I just wouldn't do it. Nor would I accept a human milk donation.
    Anonymous

• Would you donate blood or accept a blood donation. Same thing.
    Anonymous

• I would if i still made milk. i didn't breast feed but i qwould donate milk if i could and would not mind the screening
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I've donated but it was before they did screening. Why not be screened? The screening is for HIV, human T-cell lymphoma virus (HTLV), Hep B, Hep C, and syphilis. It's not for drugs.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• i'd love to!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2010