Is it normal for a 2.5 yo to suddenly cut back their food/drink intake?

DD has always been a great eater and she hasn't gotten pickier at all! But she takes 1 or 2 bites of something and says "I'm full". We try to get her to eat more and have her take a few more bites, sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't. But yesterday she ate 3 bites of her waffle, 2 bites of a ham sandwich, a bowl of spagetti, 2 bites of my egg and toast and the whole day she had 2 glasses of juice/water! This has been going on for almost a week now and she used to eat a whole waffle with yogurt and a glass of milk, a ham sandwhich with crackers and a glass of juice, a peice of reg. sized chicken with broccoli or corn and another glass of milk with 2-4 more glasses of juice/water throughout the day. No weird reactions or symptoms, is this an indeprendence thing?????

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She's fine. As long as she's peeing once in 12 hours, she is not dehydrated. As for the food, she will eat when she's ready but look out cause it sounds like she is prepping for a growth spurt and will end up eating you out of house and home.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Sounds good to me! that's more than my 3 year old will eat. They truly will eat when they eat. Just keep her hydrated, and as long as she's drinking enough, and having enough wet diapers and/or is going to the potty at least a couple times a day she should be fine. My DDs appetite will decrease then increases then decreases again. They will eat as much as they need.
    Anonymous

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase; they all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 4:52 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed

• My daughter does not eat, because she thinks something better is going on somewhere else. My other daughter usually eats all her own food and then her sisters. It is just a kid thing
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 5:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2010