thinking of getting a baby guinea pig.. i have a 10 gallon glass cage will that be enough room for it til i can get a bigger one in a few months?

i plan on takin it out all day long and just putting it in the cage at night for bed..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Pets

• Generally the recommendation is 2.5 square feet of floor space for one guinea pig, with an additional foot for each additional guinea pig. I'm not sure what the floor space would be on a 10 gallon tank. It also depends on the size of your guinea pig- they can vary considerably. We have two- one is quite small, the other one is the length of my forearm when she stretches out- she needs lots of floor space!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:10 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• LOL, I'm glad you picked the fishtank! I always advise the use of those, makes cleanup soooo much easier!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Very bad idea to keep guinea pigs in a fishtank. They need the ventilation a regular cage provides them. They can get too hot and die. I have 9 guinea pigs and we have a cube/coroplast cage with two separate cages on top because we have a mean female and another female just had babies (Too bad you don't live in WI). Basically that's a sheet of foam posterboard, cut and duct taped to make a square and those wire grids that make bookcases you buy at Target or Wal Mart. It cost less than $25 to get it all put together and that's an 8 1/2 foot cage. You probably could get a smaller sized piece of coroplast and grids. Here's a website that may be helpful.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2010