Did he seriously?

Say land on an asteroid??? Did he watch Armageddon on the flight over there? Why in the hello would we want to land on an asteroid?

Crissy1213

Asked by Crissy1213 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Asteroids are made of rock, and can contain minerals and other resources that we're mining out here on Earth. Asteroid mining has been a staple concept of science fiction for MANY years!

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_mining

Answer by gdiamante at 3:24 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Wait....what? Who are we talking about?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• President Obama, speaking at NASA.

Quick excerpts from AP:

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) - Obama: 'I am 100 percent committed to the mission of NASA and its future'

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) - Obama says his NASA agenda calls for 'major breakthroughs' and not 'same old thing.'

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) - Obama: U.S. mission to Mars will happen and 'I expect to be around to see it.'

Answer by gdiamante at 3:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Thanks.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:35 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Asteroid mining is the dumbest idea ever... unless they are going to build refineries in space and use the materials to build in space. It would cost MORE money to mine asteroids than the profit from what is mined. It is a completely arse backwards idea. Plus asteroids aren't nicely layered metals they are mashed and molded together Tell me how they plan on separating the platinum and the steel to ship it from space to earth? It makes no sense and anyone who supports asteroid mining obviously doesn't know its a waste.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Obama the new space Cadette...taking us on the Utopia of space travel....wow.....amazing....

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 4:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• sounds like another way to BLOW money we don't have...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• I can see a remake of Spaceballs in the works, starring PBO!!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:46 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Crissy, sailing to find a new route to the Orient was the "dumbest idea ever" when Columbus did it. I'm pretty sure that if Ferdinand and Isabella had been elected, they'd've been impeached by the Spanish for spending money on that voyage.

There are no dumb ideas...only things that haven't been tried yet.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:09 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• Like I said it doesn't make sense all things found in asteroids are here on Earth. Using Columbus a colossal failure as an example is laughable! You should have tried to pick a better example. The Crown only paid a small amount into his voyage he borrowed and begged from others.There is NO sensible way to mine and transport the materials. It will NEVER be worth it. We will never sell enough materials to keep it a functioning project. The ONLY reason to EVER mine an asteroid would be to use the materials IN SPACE. Which would mean we would declare space part of the US. And as I recall NO ONE can claim space! I will bet you can't give me one good reason to mine an asteroid. All the materials in Asteroids are found here already.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 15, 2010