If I don't file my taxes this year, could I file for 2 years next year?

Have you ever done this?
If so, did you get penalized and about how much?
Is it illegal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• i've done it. it was nice getting two tax rebate checks at once lol
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• yea, that is not the way it works
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• It is illegal to not file, and yes, you will be penalized. http://www.irs.gov/compliance/enforcement/article/0,,id=106790,00.html

You need to file on time each year. If you cannot pay, you have options of extension or payment plans. But don't skip filing! Not worth the headache.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• No, I don't owe any taxes, I would actually get a refund. Would I still get penalized for doing that?
    Its just that I can't reach my accountant. I've called her twice today and nothing. She's the only one that has doen my taxes for the past 4 years, she knows all my buisness about my business and everything. I'm a littlle peeved about it actually but I don't want to just go and get any old anonymous last minute accountant to do it.
    Anonymous

• yea, you waited till tax day to contact your accountant and are surprised that she is busy? Good luck getting in ANYWHERE to get your taxes done today without an appointment
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:40 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• No, I did not wait until today.I've BEEN trying to reach her.Last I heard from her she said she was working on my numbers and would give me a call.
    Anyway, thats not my question. I didn't ask to be ridiculed or critized. If you can't answer my question, then please just don't answer. Thankyou.
    Anonymous

• No that isn't how it works. You get penalized. However, if you accountant already has your tax info and doesn't get it in on time, I think you can make them responsible for those penalties.

If you are that worried, grab turbo tax and do it yourself. I always to taxes at least by MARCH 15...
    You may want to find another accountant next year if he isn't getting back to you at all. He needs to at least set aside time to return any calls from current clients, and not over extend himself.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 4:44 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• oh and i wasn't charged, but this was like 5 years ago.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 15, 2010

• wtf? why do people wait? do you owe that much money to the irs? dang!
    Anonymous

• OMG! This has to be a joke!!
    Anonymous